This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connections and getting started?
I have a complete instrument system (B&G) running nmea 0183.  My chartplotter/command computer is old and the charts are no longer available.  I can access this data through a universal interface.  I want to bring this data to a RPi, combine it with AIS, and then use it to run Openplotter and feed information back to my autopilot computer.

I know that I need a RPi, probably Kplex, an AIS hat or commercial AIS receiver....but I don't understand the best way to move the data around.

Should I buy a wifi multiplexer ($$) and connect that to the universal interface?  

Or can I just connect the interface to the RPi with a serial-usb cable?

The AIS receiver will need a serial-usb...as will my GPS antenna.  Can you have 3 usb data feeds into the RPi?  

Will the RPi act put out a wifi data signal that I could then use on a tablet?

The thing is, multiplexers (wifi or not) are expensive.  I'd rather hard wire the RPi to the interface and let the RPi do the multiplexing if that's possible.  

Ultimately I'd like to have all of my nmea018 instruments reporting to the RPi, along with AIS, GPS, engine data, battery/solar charging data, and my tank levels.  I want to display all of this on a 10" screen in the cabin and a smaller screen at the helm.  Additionally, I'd love to broadcast this data over wifi so I can keep a tablet in the bunk for keeping anchor watch etc.

I know it's possible but I don't know how to move the data around.

Cheers, 

John

New Zealand

Messages In This Thread
Connections and getting started? - by Island_Moose - 2021-09-03, 12:21 AM
RE: Connections and getting started? - by Matilda - 2021-10-14, 11:25 PM
RE: Connections and getting started? - by PaddyB - 2021-10-20, 11:41 AM
RE: Connections and getting started? - by holgerw - 2021-10-21, 11:25 AM