This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic wheel steering
(2021-10-27, 12:52 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Anyway,  I suggest you consider the friction of backdriving the motor.   Unless you have a gearless solution (which is very unlikely as the electric motor would have to be huge) the added friction will be a real problem to overcome in manual steering.   So I suggest you reconsider a way to engage/disengage the motor from the wheel.

Absolutely right. I just pulled a windshield wiper motor from a 2010 Ford 150 and friction is indeed quite high. I severely underestimated the effect of the gearbox. A permanently linked motor wouldn't be wise, thank you for pointing it out. 

So what now? A dog&spline clutch seems appropriate, but it will have to be machined for the purpose. I wouldn't know where to find one ready made.

Or something else?

Also, an afterthought: the wiring on that wiper motor allows for different motor speeds. Is there anything to tap here? Faster speed in heavy weather but slower when its nice, in order to save energy?
"Overthinking, I try very hard not to do that."

Messages In This Thread
Hydraulic wheel steering - by Nee-Wom - 2021-10-25, 09:15 PM
RE: Hydraulic wheel steering - by seandepagnier - 2021-10-26, 03:45 AM
RE: Hydraulic wheel steering - by Nee-Wom - 2021-10-26, 05:42 PM
RE: Hydraulic wheel steering - by seandepagnier - 2021-10-27, 12:52 AM
RE: Hydraulic wheel steering - by Nee-Wom - 2021-10-29, 05:09 PM