This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPi4 not talking to arduino motor driver
Hi All
I have just built a new OpenPlotter installation on a new RPi4 with RPi foundation i2c screen. I have the pypilot arduino board connected via UART0, GPIO14/15 (as per old RPi3 install) but cannot get it to work. If I plug a USB cable from arduino to RPi4 this works. I have tried a loopback on the UART and using a CuteCom terminal program I get characters returned, so I know the port is working. The UART comes up as /dev/ttyS0. I found the "servodevice" file and changed it to read ["/dev/ttyS0", 38400] but still no joy. Using the pypilot_servo utillity (making sure pypilot was not running) I can see it trying both /dev/ttyAMA0 and /dev/ttyS0 at both 4800 and 38400 baud but it gets a device busy or not available error. The arduino works via serial if I plug it back into the old RPi3. 

Looking at permissions on /dev/tty* all are owned by root and are in dialout group, both pi and bruce are members of dialout group.

Another problem is that the screen creates all sorts of rubbish on the i2c bus, it looks reasonable easy to create an additional i2c bus, is it possible to specifiy i2c2 (or i2c4) bus for the IMU? If so which file needs to be changed?

Thanks and all the work which went into this project is very much apprieciated.

Cheers
Bruce

Messages In This Thread
RPi4 not talking to arduino motor driver - by MacleayIslandBruce - 2021-11-25, 11:44 PM