This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modify a NMEA183 sentence in Signal K (Solved without needing to modify)
Hi,
I have a Stowe Databox connected via a NMEA to USB adapter to a PI 4.  All the NMEA sentences, except for one, are standard and display correctly in the data browser in Signal K and in the dashboard in Opencpn.
The non standard sentence is DBK.  It has an additional character in the first position.  Either an "A" if depth is live/correct or a "V" if it is last valid depth.  I need to strip the first field containing this character out of the sentence.
This seems easy enough if I ignore Signal k and run the serial input directly to Opencpn as the NMEAconverter plugin can modify NMEA sentences.
However I would like to stream all data through Signal K.  Is there a simple way to see the raw NMEA 183 data that Signal K is receiving and to modify it before SignalK parses it?
I see an option for Data fiddler.  Could  this be used to remove the first field?
Will I have to learn Node Red !!
Jodel

Subsequently noticed that the Stowe instruments also send DBT  (Depth below the transducer).
This sentence is standard and I use that instead of DBK.  As I have a lift keel boat there is very little difference between DBK and DBT when the keel is lifted.  When the keel is down, I know that I need about a metre below transducer to avoid touching the bottom.

Messages In This Thread
Modify a NMEA183 sentence in Signal K (Solved without needing to modify) - by Jodel - 2021-12-14, 12:09 AM