This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a satellite IoT solution tied to OpenPlotter?
The first one (satellite tracking) could reasonably compete with existing solutions in that space like the InReach and the SPOT. One aspect of these commercial solutions is the immediacy at which they can sent out "SMS" signals, which I think will be hard to replicate without a full "shell" of satellites.

I assume what you have in mind is just one satellite in a polar sun-synchronous orbit, right? That orbit passes over the whole earth twice every day, so it's a good choice to give intermittent but global coverage with only one sat. Bonus point is that higher latitudes get better coverage, which I think is good for these people who venture off the beaten path.

Anyway, I think 200$/200$ is a darn good price-point for that kind of global telemetry.

One concern is that this will _have_ to go through a centralized entity (even if non-profit), unless you want to launch your own sat.

Regarding the dinghy locator idea, why not just re-package a MAIANA? That way other ships don't run you over in your dinghy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How about a satellite IoT solution tied to OpenPlotter? - by emilecantin - 2022-01-12, 08:45 PM