This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hydraulic pump - convertible top- replacement for linear actuator
Hello,

i have a Searay cabin cruiser with hydraulic steering (Mercruiser outdrive) and a sailboat with tiller steering to upgrade to Pypilot.
Poked around for hydraulic pumps and noticed how insanely expensive these are, like everything marine-related right...?

I used to work as a certified automotive master mechanic in a previous life and thus was thinking about what off-the-shelf auto components could replace such an autopilot pump, realized convertible top pumps could do the trick.  

In order to experiment with this I just bought this unit (1994-1998 OEM Ford Mustang Convertible Top Motor Hydraulic Pump Cylinders ) with hydraulic hoses and cylinders of eBay for 150 bucks, if it does not work I have other uses for it.

Thinking about putting this into the existing hydraulic circuit of the Searay and also building an hydraulic version of a linear actuator to work on that sailboat.

Has anyone experimented with this setup in the past?
In any case, I will keep my progress posted here.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
hydraulic pump - convertible top- replacement for linear actuator - by roedel - 2022-01-28, 08:41 PM