This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Digitise an older engine - ESP32
(2022-04-03, 04:14 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Hi, I’ve just added fuel consumption (predicted based on RPM) so if that’s works I’ll share all the code either on GitHub or on here. Plan to test that this next week.

I have just used the examples and stuck it all together but happy to share.

Interested to see your work on this...

My solution was to graph a formula based on the engine fuel usage I found online for my engine (modified based on the boat user manual info I found in the back of a cabinet). I used Node-Red to do the calculations and fine tuned it with the calibration app inside SignalK. Works well enough. 

Here's where it gets good: SignalK also takes tank level data and (using NR) calculates total fuel volume remaining based on my total fuel capacity. Derived data plug in calculates fuel economy. From here, with fuel economy, fuel rate, and fuel volume, NR can calculate estimated range for time and distance at present speed/rpm. It's really pretty great! Good to know with a full load of fuel I can leave SoCal and go straight to PV (or beyond) without needing to stop!

I'm not a programmer at all, so the fact I was able to use a ESP-32 board and SensESP to build my on holding tank sensor is nothing short of a miracle. I used a "Moda" capacitive tape-on sensor for an RV (https://tankedge.com/accessories.html), wired it to a voltage divider and VIOLA, SensESP is sending holding tank data over wifi to SK. I now use the head with reckless abandon as SK notifies me when it is about 85% full and I need to pump out.

I found digital fuel pressure gauges that read 0-5 volts for -15 to 30 psi. I plan on hooking a couple of them up to my fuel filters to monitor pressure vacuum from the helm, based on Racor's flow data. Plan is to have SK notify me when it's time to change or if there's a problem. 

The here options are endless.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by MigGat - 2022-03-24, 10:11 AM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by Sailoog - 2022-03-25, 08:08 PM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by Paul M - 2022-03-26, 03:22 PM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by PaddyB - 2022-03-28, 11:30 AM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by PaddyB - 2022-03-26, 09:21 PM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by Sailoog - 2022-03-31, 11:59 AM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by tYuoAz - 2022-04-01, 10:40 PM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by Paul M - 2022-09-13, 03:03 PM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by SCarns - 2022-04-04, 03:48 PM
RE: Digitise an older engine - ESP32 - by MigGat - 2022-04-03, 06:08 PM