This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rudder feedback potentiometer range
Hi,

I'm having some troubles with my rudder feedback on a PCNautic tiller drive. This tiller drive has an integrated rudder feedback potentiometer of 10k, with a full range of 0 to 10k.

My custom motor controller has the same rudder feedback schematics as in https://pypilot.org/schematics/hbridge_controller.pdf

Rudder feedback works OK, except when the tiller is fully at port or starboard (when the potentiometer has a value near 0 or 10k). At this moment pypilot will disable rudder feedback (rudder.angle = False)

This is because in motor.ino the value is expected to be between some limits:
1387             if(v < 1024+1024 || v > 65472 - 1024)
1388                    rudder_sense = 0;

Looking at the schematics (I'm not very good at this) it looks like when the potentiometer is 0 it is normal to have an ADC reading of 0, and at 10k the value is indeed too high, very close to 1.1V.

I found out that I can somehow "fix" this by adding extra resistors (1k for example) on both of "+5V" and "GND" potentiometer wires.

My question is : what is the normal behaviour ? Should the ADC reading be between 0 and 1.1V (as I see it working, and in this case full port/starboard positions are considered as errors), or should they be between 0.1 and 1V (as the code seems to imply), and in this case is there something missing on the electronics side ?

Thanks !

Messages In This Thread
Rudder feedback potentiometer range - by stelian - 2022-04-06, 09:19 AM
RE: Rudder feedback potentiometer range - by Onno - 2022-04-07, 11:16 AM
RE: Rudder feedback potentiometer range - by Onno - 2022-04-07, 01:31 PM
RE: Rudder feedback potentiometer range - by Onno - 2022-04-08, 10:04 AM