This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All-in-one boat computer
Hey Guys, Just thought I'd share. I have been using Openplotter (and Pypilot, Signalk, OpenCPN, and several others) on our boat (and past boats) for many years now. The way I did that for a very long time was to use lot's of separate hardware and interconnect them. The goal for me personally was to be able to use as many features as possible that Openplotter (and SignalK) had to offer and build an independent off-grid system. In that journey I had many set backs and challenges to overcome, software issues to fix and getting the hardware to a level that is robust enough for maritime conditions... and many other challenges that will arise when assembling DIY devices on a boat. 

Many proof of concepts later, we have arrived to this prototype and we have named it "AyeAye". It includes many features that usually under normal circumstances you'd need about 20 maritime products for. But in this case you just need one product without having to go through the majority of the installation, configuration and assembly steps. Think of features like autopilot, autopilot route, digital switching, power monitoring, all openseamap charts offline available, ais receiver, Marinetraffic, internal and external sensors, 4G, etc. There are still many more features on the roadmap like integrating a built-in status screen, NOAA and METEOR reception, AIS broadcast, VHF reception and many more. But for now we have decided to go with what we currently have and move forward with it. 

While we are doing that we are building a unified (React native or PWA) App that will integrate all these features into one intuitive app, where usually you'd need several for every unique feature. We are currently setting up a beta test program as we are trying to manufacture / produce more of these prototypes for people that are interested. After being a member for a few years on this forum, I'd thought to share this news with you tech savvies and sailors! If anybody is interested or wants to get in touch, contact me or take a look at https://ayeaye.systems/beta-test/ 

I wish you a safe sailing season and fair winds!

[Image: 20220202-105835-1.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
All-in-one boat computer - by jamos.tan@gmail.com - 2022-04-14, 03:01 PM
RE: All-in-one boat computer - by PaddyB - 2022-04-15, 01:52 PM
RE: All-in-one boat computer - by Sailoog - 2022-04-19, 08:27 PM