This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot compass calibration getting lost
[attachment=1846 Wrote:seandepagnier pid='23300' dateline='1658707839']Hi.

I am not sure why it is unable to store the calibration.    If you see the calibration update it may take a minute or two to write to the config file.   Otherwise maybe it doesn't have permission to write to the config file?

You can't just change the calibration to "true" since this the imu.compass.calibration normally contains the calibration coefficients.

keep in mind that pypilot should run or pypilot.boatimu but not both.  Maybe you were running both??      Normally the pypilot hat service is managed similarly to the others as a service, but it may need more permissions.

Hi, many thanks for your reply.  I checked the permissions on the config file and it looks ok:
pi@openplotter:~/.pypilot $ ls -l pypilot*
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi root   34 Jul 23 18:38 pypilot_client.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi   3075 Jul 25 11:45 pypilot.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi   3075 Jul 24 21:54 pypilot.conf.bak
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi   3065 Jul 23 16:46 pypilot.conf.save

I also checked which services are running and it seems only pypilot     is:
pi@openplotter:~ $ systemctl status pypilot        
* pypilot.service - pypilot
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/pypilot.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-02-14 10:11:59 GMT; 3 years 5 months 
 Main PID: 102 (pypilot)
    Tasks: 11 (limit: 2063)

pi@openplotter:~/.pypilot $ systemctl status pypilot_boatimu
* pypilot_boatimu.service - pypilot_boatimu
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/pypilot_boatimu.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

pi@openplotter:~/.pypilot $ systemctl status pypilot_web
* pypilot_web.service - pypilot_web
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/pypilot_web.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)

I tried to set up pypilot_hat as a service (instead of using autostart), but get the same result as above:
pi@openplotter:~/.pypilot $ systemctl status pypilot_hat
* pypilot_hat.service - pypilot_hat
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/pypilot_hat.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)

and I am getting no response to gpio inputs or the virtual LCD screen.  This is not a problem as I can just go back to the autostart method of running it.
However, having to recalibrate the compass at the start of every trip is a bit of a pain.  I tried re-calibrating the compass using pypilot_control, but with the same result:  I got the compass working OK, then clicked on calibration locked, then rebooted and all calibration data was lost (see screenshot attached).  The compass was giving random readings.

Many thanks, as always, for you help.
Regards
David

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pypilot compass calibration getting lost - by drbarritt - 2022-07-25, 02:40 PM