This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost the option to select GPS mode
Thanks!!

The answer to that question was: The GPS wasn't connected!
I had forgotten to check the "Forward NMEA" option in opencpn, doh!
(Didn't think of my reinstall of the PC due to some other software/hardware related issues)

Before I checked that option it was listed as none in the statistics page and now it's set to tcp.
And now I can select GPS mode in the ui's again.

About the HMC5883, initially I was running an LSM9DS1 but for some reason or the other, while doing my early trial and errors, things didn't work at all. Back then I thought it was the PID values that was out of order, but then noticed on the desk at home that I didn't get repeatable results with that one. Noting down it's value, then shifting it 90 degrees and back again it never added up. Might have been calibration issues.

My second attempts was with the duo MPU-6050 and a connected HMC5883 (had some issues with orienting the modules), but this time I had also moved away from the trial and error approach and read everything I could find (like the excellent workbook). On the water I did multiple 360 turns and after a adjustment (-87 degrees) it matched the boats compass perfectly. It's mounted (taped) with a 50cm cable away from anything metal.

Had quite successful runs over longer distances keeping the heading I had picked.

Will test the LSM9DS1 sometime again now that I have the basic setup working and just doing one change, the IMU.

Have had a hard time finding any reasonable priced IMU. The LSM9DS1 wasn't cheap from a local dealer in Sweden.

Best regards!

Messages In This Thread
Lost the option to select GPS mode - by tax - 2022-08-04, 12:59 PM
RE: Lost the option to select GPS mode - by tax - 2022-08-04, 08:29 PM