This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP off should be off, Manual should be a mode
I've installed TinyPilot on my Sundeer 56 sailboat to replace an old WH autopilot.  The WH autopilot drove two motor controllers/motors/hydraulic pumps.  The hydraulics are industrial, powerful and very capable.  I recently had the hydraulics rebuilt.  I've built a box to house two 30 amp motor controllers from Sean and those are wired up and work.  Photos below.

TinyPilot properly communicates with one motor controller which is sufficient for normal weather.  My project will be to add a second serial port and modify Pypilot to properly communicate with both motor controllers so that I can run both pumps at the same time for heavy weather sailing.  I've been using the system for about a month now and will post a couple of suggestions for discussion.  I'm running TinyPilot version 0.24.  I'll upgrade to the latest build soon.

When AP is off I'd like it to be really off.  TinyPilot says standby and the remotes don't do anything which is the behavior I expect in Standby.  I was very surprised when AP was off and I accidentally hit the << button on the web browser interface on my phone and the wheel turned 270 degrees and the boat turned fast at 6 knots.  I would like Manual to be a mode just like Compass, GPS, Wind.  Before turning AP on I decide which mode I want, typically Compass, but possibly Manual.  In Manual mode the browser interface and remotes should all behave the same with direct control of the wheel but with much finer control than with present Standby.

Ideally Manual mode would read the rudder angle indicator and maintain a rudder angle.  If I'm sailing upwind in steady wind with the boat well balanced this would be equivalent to steering with say one spoke down.  In good conditions the boat will sail herself like this, maintaining a steady wind angle and speed with no steering required.  I can engage the hydraulics with AP off to hold the wheel at a fixed angle, but after a time as the sea works the rudder and fluid leaks past the ram seals the wheel slowly moves and I have to reset it.  PyPilot could easily maintain the rudder angle using minimal power.  PyPilot would be controlling rudder angle rather than compass bearing or wind angle.  TinyPilot display would show rudder angle.

TinyPilot at nav station.

Two motor controllers in box beside hydraulic pump near rudder quadrant.

Messages In This Thread
AP off should be off, Manual should be a mode - by PeterBro3 - 2022-10-10, 03:56 AM