This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I use a USB dongle for Wifi?
(2023-05-11, 10:09 PM)holgerw Wrote: Hello LAZORRA

It seems your WLAN-Stick is not fully supported as an AccesPoint. For an rpi also it is not stable to use the internal wifi as WLAN-Client and make an own AccesPort simultan. After installing an little WLAN-Router onboard and use it only as Client, my Preformance was much better with no Errors or Offline Periods. These LTE-Routers got really cheap (€50-60), often you get them together with an monthly LTE unlimited Plan here in Europe for under 15€.

Otherwise try an updated Driver for your USB-Adapter with better AP Support. But be warned, an little external Router will save you much Trouble and Delays - acting as AP-Router your pi3 will slow down. And most Routers are also capable to do Firewalling and 5G for free and all Boat-Devices have an stable Internet even if your Pi is rebooting.

Good Luck - Holger

PS: found an URL abot the various USB-WLAN Adaptors: https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

I would like to use the "on board" wifi as an AP and then use my USB dongle to connect to the internet (home network or at the dock). I have used this set-up on Openplotter 2 for the past couple of years on my boat and never had stability or connectivity issues.  I appreciate your suggestion for a router as a connection point for my devices but for me I would rather not add another piece of equipment to my boat when previously it was working well.

Is there a way to modify the configuration file for the openplotter network app to setup wlan1 as a client when wlan9 is an AP?  I am looking through this folder but would like some assistance:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openplotterNetwork/Network

Thank you for your help! I hope I can get this working with Openplotter 3! :-)

Messages In This Thread
How do I use a USB dongle for Wifi? - by La Zorra - 2023-05-10, 08:11 PM
RE: How do I use a USB dongle for Wifi? - by La Zorra - 2023-05-12, 12:19 AM