This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST7002 as control for PyPilot?
(2023-09-02, 06:01 AM)rbergevoet Wrote: I have opted for a SeaTalk1 instrument for the very simple reason that NMEA2000 or SeaTalkNG instruments are much more expensive and there are not much sold at all 2nd-hand. 
I am also not interested in expanding the system with more equipment, I just want to control my PyPilot with the ST7002 instrument.

I have made some more progress in the project: I can now read (in 8-bit, but it works and is stable) all button press commands from the SeaTalk-bus and can write the commands for the virtual course computer so that the ST7002 displays the correct data. I need to do some more fine-tuning in that (send commands using timers to lower the SeaTalk bus load, and write some conversion functions for course, heading and rudder angle). 
and after that I will start in including this code in the ‘motor.ino’ code so that it all runs on a single Arduino Mega.
There are two motor.ino sketches - Sean dePagner's original bit banging and an update available on hackaday - I think this one is an improvement. 
on autopilot controls watch out for 0 deg = 360 deg, and chaos created if cts and cog are in 3rd and 1st quadrant - you need math in sketch to correct for both. There is also a complicated math equation avail that does both that I found but have not understood.
I'm checking my install on new boat for how/if seatalk or 0183 networking is used. For Hdrive output from mega I am using IBT-2 modules 
If you want some more insight into openplotter best to make contact on my burgoynebc@netscape.net email
Richard
SV Kelaerin

Messages In This Thread
ST7002 as control for PyPilot? - by rbergevoet - 2023-08-30, 11:54 AM
RE: ST7002 as control for PyPilot? - by burgoynebc@netscape.net - 2023-09-03, 06:55 PM