This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workings of an Autopilot
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.  After my post, I found your videos and have watched all of them.  Outstanding DIY work!  I really enjoyed the wiper motor driving a tiller Exclamation" pid="28507" dateline="1706835597"]

Are you doing something explicit to account for digital gyro's drift or does the Kalman filter implicitly take care of that?  I'm guessing your time frame deltas don't really need to know the original zero point.

I explored the possibility of checking out your code.  In one of your videos you mentioned trying out AI (machine learning) and I wanted to see if you had made progress down that path.  I discovered the Py.... is for Python and I don't read Python well enough to go digging.  Big Grin  

But I completely agree that AI wouldn't help most people.  I got interested reading a racing sailor's trying to describe what he does in a race.  He was only able to describe the broad brush strokes and I got the impression, much of it was so instinctual for him that he wasn't even aware of much of what he does.  He mentioned being off shift, down below and "feeling" the conditions and cringing that the current team member didn't respond correctly in a timely manner.

I've been doing some Machine Learning (Genetic Algorithms) on a totally non-related project and thought it would be a fantastic addition to an Auto Pilot.  It would have to learn from an experienced sailor (like the racer) and would only be valid for that boat.  The average Joe (like me) would just be teaching it bad habits.   Tongue 

[quote pid="28507" dateline="1706835597"]
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.  After my post, I found your videos and have watched all of them.  Outstanding DIY work!  I really enjoyed the wiper motor driving a tiller Exclamation

Are you doing something explicit to account for digital gyro's drift or does the Kalman filter implicitly take care of that?  I'm guessing your time frame deltas don't really need to know the original zero point.

I explored the possibility of checking out your code.  In one of your videos you mentioned trying out AI (machine learning) and I wanted to see if you had made progress down that path.  I discovered the Py.... is for Python and I don't read Python well enough to go digging.  Big Grin  

But I completely agree that AI wouldn't help most people.  I got interested reading a racing sailor's trying to describe what he does in a race.  He was only able to describe the broad brush strokes and I got the impression, much of it was so instinctual for him that he wasn't even aware of much of what he does.  He mentioned being off shift, down below and "feeling" the conditions and cringing that the current team member didn't respond correctly in a timely manner.

I've been doing some Machine Learning (Genetic Algorithms) on a totally non-related project and thought it would be a fantastic addition to an Auto Pilot.  It would have to learn from an experienced sailor (like the racer) and would only be valid for that boat.  The average Joe (like me) would just be teaching it bad habits.   Tongue

Messages In This Thread
Workings of an Autopilot - by Inq - 2024-02-02, 12:38 AM
RE: Workings of an Autopilot - by seandepagnier - 2024-02-02, 01:59 AM
RE: Workings of an Autopilot - by Inq - 2024-02-02, 02:56 AM