This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation
I'd like to get some feedback on a DIY auto pilot to see if there are some safety or reliability issues I'm overlooking.  It is basically a Tiller pilot, but I want it inside the boat.  The goals:

1. Safety
  2. Cheap
  3. Get the non-marine hardware out of the elements - protects the hardware and get the clutter out of the cockpit.
  4. Not have to manually removed the tiller mechanism when needing to immediately go to manual control.  Well... it's below the deck so I wouldn't be able to get to it in a timely manner.  I also want to avoid some Rube Goldberg contraption to remove the tiller pilot below the deck.  

I'm assuming I'd use the full suit of OpenMarine, PyPilot, controller, drivers, etc... and hook it up to something like these that are made for moving solar panels and cost less than $40US.  They're only IP54 and not salt water tolerant, so I'd like them inside the boat.  Besides, I'm trying to reduce clutter in the cockpit.

[Image: 71HLyl3Y1-L._SL1500_.jpg]

Here is a schematic in case the verbiage isn't clear.

• The linear actuator would simply replace the connecting rod that is currently in this location.  
  • When the autopilot is engaged, the tiller is placed in the cradle to keep it stationary.  The actuator works the rudder as expected.
  • Taking over manual control (emergency or not) lift the tiller out of the cradle and press the button disengaging the autopilot.
  • If the autopilot was at some off-angle, it would be nice for it slowly return to its center point before going inactive.  

Messages In This Thread
Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-02, 05:36 PM
RE: Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-02, 07:40 PM
RE: Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-03, 12:56 AM
RE: Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-03, 01:20 PM