This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation
(2024-02-02, 07:47 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It doesnt auto-center, but by code it could, but what if it did not?    If there was some problem and it was stuck all the way in or out, would this make hand steering difficult?

Anyway, I would suggest considering waterproofing the actuator better.  Replace the steel screws with stainless and coat the whole thing when you get it, and perhaps build a nice cover for it.  It should be possible to build something around it to ensure it never gets wet but can still be used normally.    It is good to be able to remove it and steer normally.

I don't think the auto-centering would be an issue.  As for safety, even if the AP was at full lock and I had to go manual, I'd still have plenty of tiller room to go the full range.  It'd just be off center.  It would be a nice-to-have and if/when I get to that point, I try digging into your code.  

Only part of the desire to put it down there is for weathering.  I highly desire to de-clutter the cockpit and adding a AP just makes things worse.  As it is, I'm changing helm, sail-plan, boom and sheeting for the main to get the traveler out of the cockpit.  

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-02, 05:36 PM
RE: Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-02, 07:40 PM
RE: Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-03, 12:56 AM
RE: Minimal Tiller Pilot Adaptation - by Inq - 2024-02-03, 01:20 PM