This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help regarding gain configuration
Hello pypilot users,

I would like to describe a behavior of my autopilot which I don't consider satisfactory:
My boat is 35 foot monohull sailing boat (Dufour 4800) and i am using the engine and transmission of a Raymarine ST-4000 autopilot driven by the Sean solution based on tinypilot and a 10A motor controller. Usually i am happy with the way the pilot works except in the following case:
When sailing downwind if a wave and/or a gust of wind makes the boat deviate from the specified heading let us say by 20° upwind, then after the gust of wind vanishes, the boat slowly gets back to the nominal heading BUT if in the meantime a second gust/wave comes up, then the boat will go off by another 20° and i.e. if only 10° were recovered from the first gust the boat is now 30° off...and so on, after a couple of gusts/waves the boat can be 60° off the specified heading or more, I then have to disengage the autopilot and bring the boat back manually to the requested heading. I use compass mode.

Please see below my regular configuration, indeed I would like to know what parameters I should change in order to have the boat getting back faster to the nominal heading after a strong deviation.
Any idea is welcome!

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Help regarding gain configuration - by MBJ335 - 2024-03-16, 07:56 PM
RE: Help regarding gain configuration - by MBJ335 - 2024-03-17, 05:38 PM
RE: Help regarding gain configuration - by MBJ335 - 2024-03-22, 01:53 PM
RE: Help regarding gain configuration - by MBJ335 - 2024-03-22, 11:44 PM
RE: Help regarding gain configuration - by MBJ335 - 2024-03-25, 04:04 PM