This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyPilot with Servo Pendulum Windvane
Dear Sean,

Your development of PyPilot comes at a good time, because my 24 year old Raymarine ST4000 Wheel control is leaking and has been taken apart three times, been dried out and reassembled...

I assume a PyPilot AP & Controller could be used with my Wheelpilot, but I am considering making a light servo pendulum water blade, for use with your PyPilot, because it has many merits, such as low power with amplification by the servo pendulum to turn a rudder or a wheel.  If Pypilot can be used with the servo pendulum water blade in lighter air and in other heavier conditions, you have pointed out that the windvane can then be added for use in heavier air.

My question is if PyPilot + gear above works well in both light and heavy air, with a small low powered motor and lead or ball screw on the servo pendulum, why would you need any other autopilot motor (such as direct to tiller or wheel)?

Would it just be a backup, with the expense of another more powerful motor which uses greater power in case the servo pendulum broke?

I suppose one could just have a second small motor + lead/ball screw available as backup for use on your Moniter/Windvane too.

Note: I have added a PyPilot Section on the OpenCPN > Supplemental Hardware > RPI Accessories Page. I will probably move that to it's own page at some point.

While looking into servo pendulums (yet again), three links stood out to me, regarding improvements to the servo pendulum & windvane for light air: I would be interested in your thoughts.

Regardless, I think it is useful to have several self-steering options, (including hybrid solutions which include electrical autopilot with a motor & sensors). Thank you for showing me the way.

Messages In This Thread
PyPilot with Servo Pendulum Windvane - by rgleason - 2017-10-24, 04:28 PM