This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 released!
Take a look at the ArgonOne as well. I have one and it's by far the best I know. And it only cost me 27 € which is not a lot of money considering the extra features of this enclosure.

[Image: Hab432d5c8c6f4191bded0aa72789932fT.jpg]
[Image: ar42.105.png]

https://www.argon40.com/resources/argon-...-overview/

[Image: Raspberry-Pi-4-Modelo-B-carcasa-de-alumi...taci-n.jpg]

My own:

[Image: photo-2019-10-25-19-27-50.jpg]

It is made of thermal aluminum alloy and includes a fan that can be controlled at will and an electronically controlled switch.

My Rpi 4 which used to be at 55 degrees with a fan is now no more than 38 and not even the fan is running. I've set it to start at 60 degrees and I've only seen it working on arduous tasks like HD video encoding.
Why are sailors more daring than other men?
Because: No man is so often afraid
like the sailors.

"Of the questions of the seafaring world", in
The Tree of Science, Ramon Llull
Hi pinguino,
This Argone case looks classy, and the on/off button will be comfortable. I used the Pi desktop by element14/Farnell, which offers similar on/off button.
The drawback was the random emptying of opencpn.conf (length=0) when using the button, I had to write  a bash script to solve the issue.
You can refer to This post
If this happens to you, do not hesitate to MP me !

I would dream of the same case with a DC supply (say 8 - 32 V), or at least enough room to install it !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Thanks Didier, but that doesn't happen in Argon One because it has a software that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website and controls that the shutdowns are done the right way. It also manages the operating mode of the fan.

The best of all is that when you choose the option to turn off the menu, directly turns off the system completely, as in a conventional PC and then, to turn it back on, just press the power button as in any pc.

If there is a problem with Openplotter's autostart menu that seems, by chance and inexplicably sends a shutdown command for Argon One, but as at home I use Rpi 4 as a desktop PC I don't have that problem. I guess Sailoog could guess where that curious behavior comes from.

What I have checked is that the shutdowns are always correct and have never lost any configuration file or anything like that.
like the sailors.

(2019-11-07, 07:28 PM)pinguino Wrote: Thanks Didier, but that doesn't happen in Argon One because it has a software that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website and controls that the shutdowns are done the right way. It also manages the operating mode of the fan.
As with element14 Pi Desktop ! (also have software for "clean shutdown).
The problem seems to be the way raspbian implements the Linux closing processes ... Hope you will not see it happen !  If it does, you will know what to do ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

You may be right because I don't use Raspbian, I mean openplotter, as it is. I use openplotter with Gnome-shell. Something like a Raspbian-Gnome-openplotter. Maybe the way gnome-shell closes the computer is different from Raspbian with xfce-pixel desktop. A view:

[Image: Captura-de-pantalla-de-2019-11-07-22-33-52.png]

Anyway I have done many times the test of closing the system without closing opencpn previously and it has never given problems. At least for now...
like the sailors.

Pinguino,

I had been looking for a case to put the new Pi4 in and saw your post the other day. Thanks to one day shipping my new case arrived today. 

[Image: UkQVnf.jpg]

Thanks for helping me find a case when I did not even come looking for one.
Good news about RPi4 heating Smile

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/thermal...erry-pi-4/
With a few changes and additions that Argon case design would be perfect for a boat.

Make it drip-proof for wall mounting; keep all connectors on the bottom, add louvers for venting, or duct the fan to the bottom.
Add a wide input 12vdc power supply.
Add IMU and barometric sensors.
Add terminals for 1-Wire.
Add terminals for serial port.
Just received the new Argon case with two pillars to be connected to the processors. Nice case. Works very well shutting down via the button also switches off the power.

Installed the SignalK temperature in MX Tommy Kip. The processor temp is hovering around 40o C, Is about 5o C better then the Flirc Case, also alu with a cooling pillar.

Fixed mounting is even as the Flirc case not so easy. With the Flirc case I have done this. See image.

Bram

Attached Files Image(s)

(2019-12-13, 10:13 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Just received the new Argon case with two pillars to be connected to the processors. Nice case. Works very well shutting down via the button also switches off the power.

Installed the SignalK temperature in MX Tommy Kip. The processor temp is hovering around 40o C, Is about 5o C better then the Flirc Case, also alu with a cooling pillar.

Fixed mounting is even as the Flirc case not so easy. With the Flirc case I have done this. See image.

Bram

Is the fan running in the Argon case to get the temp to 40Deg.C ?
Hardly a fair comparison since the FLIRC has no fan.

I wish someone would create a case like the Argon, with all the connectors on the bottom, but drip-proof and easily wall mountable. And including a barometric sensor, IMU, screw terminals for I/O (1-Wire, Serial, ...).