This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kindle Paperwhite as KIP Cockpit Display
Jim, I set-up the additional apps (like KIP), but how do I proceed? (sorry ... I'm a real newby) How do I login with my kindle on the open plotter AP (created by the raspi)?
use the links under the webapps tab in sk.
i think they just use these to display the apps like KIP which can be displayed in a browser.
(2019-11-22, 09:26 PM)BartStevens Wrote: Jim, I set-up the additional apps (like KIP), but how do I proceed? (sorry ... I'm a real newby) How do I login with my kindle on the open plotter AP (created by the raspi)?

The application some of us are using successfully on the Kindle Paperwhite is not KIP (despite the thread title), and not not available through the regular SignalK app installation process. It was written by iKommunicate. It has to be copied to a folder on your Pi manually, and the code may need to be modified to your needs, because it is not like Kip where lots of configuration can be done from the front end to meet a lot of needs. I find the code hard to follow, but I have succeeded with it somewhat.

You may need to find the information scattered among a few threads here - just search "kindle" as I can't remember everything without reading it all again myself.

To answer your question directly, the path to enter into your browser on the Kindle is (in my case): http://10.10.10.1:3000/kindle/iKommunica...indle.html but if you haven't put it there it won't be there. 

I have been hoping a smarter coder than me to fork it and make enhancements and tag it in such a way that it appears in the SignalK app store. I emailed iKommunicate about this a few times and they are quite happy for someone to do that. 

I really love the Kindle in this role.

hint: Turn on Kindle and search "~ds" on Kindle main screen to disable screen saver
(2019-11-22, 10:26 PM)Saqqara Wrote:
(2019-11-22, 09:26 PM)BartStevens Wrote: Jim, I set-up the additional apps (like KIP), but how do I proceed? (sorry ... I'm a real newby) How do I login with my kindle on the open plotter AP (created by the raspi)?

The application some of us are using successfully on the Kindle Paperwhite is not KIP (despite the thread title), and not not available through the regular SignalK app installation process. It was written by iKommunicate. It has to be copied to a folder on your Pi manually, and the code may need to be modified to your needs, because it is not like Kip where lots of configuration can be done from the front end to meet a lot of needs. I find the code hard to follow, but I have succeeded with it somewhat.

You may need to find the information scattered among a few threads here - just search "kindle" as I can't remember everything without reading it all again myself.

To answer your question directly, the path to enter into your browser on the Kindle is (in my case): http://10.10.10.1:3000/kindle/iKommunica...indle.html but if you haven't put it there it won't be there. 

I have been hoping a smarter coder than me to fork it and make enhancements and tag it in such a way that it appears in the SignalK app store. I emailed iKommunicate about this a few times and they are quite happy for someone to do that. 

hint: Turn on Kindle and search "~ds" on Kindle main screen to disable screen saver

Da i Kommunicate:

Hi, yes you can. We have released the Javascript source code of the Kindle App as open source, which you can get from here…
https://github.com/digitalyacht/ikommunicate/blob/master/Kindle_App_Example.zip
If you create a sub-folder in the Signalk folder on your Openplotter system and then unzip the files in to this sub-folder, renaming the iKommunicate-API-Kindle.html file to index.html, then when you go to 10.10.10.1:3000/signalk/kindle it should run the Kindle app. You might have to fiddle around with the URL the App tries to use to get the Signal K data, but it should be doable even by a non-developer (which also describes me).
I am sure there are developers on the OpenPlotter project that could help.
(2019-11-22, 11:00 PM)Max1947 Wrote:

Da i Kommunicate:

Hi, yes you can. We have released the Javascript source code of the Kindle App as open source, which you can get from here…
If you create a sub-folder in the Signalk folder on your Openplotter system and then unzip the files in to this sub-folder, renaming the iKommunicate-API-Kindle.html file to index.html, then when you go to 10.10.10.1:3000/signalk/kindle it should run the Kindle app. You might have to fiddle around with the URL the App tries to use to get the Signal K data, but it should be doable even by a non-developer (which also describes me).

Ok, I got the Kindle folder in my /home/pi/node_modules/@signalk folder (next to the folder named instrumentpanel). Renamed to index.html. rebooted the SignalK server ... no luck ... ;(

(2019-11-22, 11:21 PM)BartStevens Wrote:
(2019-11-22, 11:00 PM)Max1947 Wrote:

Da i Kommunicate:

Ok, I got the Kindle folder in my /home/pi/node_modules/@signalk folder (next to the folder named instrumentpanel). Renamed to index.html. rebooted the SignalK server ... no luck ... ;(

When I go to the page (10.10.10.1:3000/signalk/kindle it will give me this error:
Cannot GET /signalk/kindle
Beste Bart,

the folder kindle is in the wrong place. Read the instructions about the right place and add the HTML files index5.html and Settings5.html. Settings work here. But nog the index5.html. I have problems with the wifi connection to the RPI.

Bram

Hello .. anybody?
(2019-11-24, 02:02 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Beste Bart,

the folder kindle is in the wrong place. Read the instructions about the right place and add the HTML files index5.html and Settings5.html. Settings work here. But nog the index5.html. I have problems with the wifi connection to the RPI.

Bram

Bram, Good morning. In which folder should I put the Kindle folder? 

(Will then replace Index en Settings files with Index5 and settings5 and will revert to you)

Bart
(2019-11-25, 11:05 AM)BartStevens Wrote:

Bram

(Will then replace Index en Settings files with Index5 and settings5 and will revert to you)

Bart

usr lib nodeṣmodules signalk.server public

sudo mkdir kindle

There you must copy the 2 HTML files index5.html en Settings5.html

Settings work here. But not yet the index file. Probably due that I cannot connect the Wifi of the RPI direct but have to use my wireless network switch here.
(2019-11-25, 11:28 AM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2019-11-25, 11:05 AM)BartStevens Wrote:

Bram

Bart

usr lib nodeṣmodules signalk.server public

sudo mkdir kindle

There you must copy the 2 HTML files index5.html en Settings5.html

Settings work here. But not yet the index file. Probably due that I cannot connect the Wifi of the RPI direct but have to use my wireless network switch here.
Thanks!!
Will try tonight
Bart