This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Esp8266 - esp easy
(2017-11-05, 05:48 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Anyone else had a play with esp easy and an Esp8266?  Looks very promising. 
Confession time first, I zapped the i2c & 1wire pins on a Pi3 yesterday in under the chart table trying to tidy up the wiring for some DS18 thermometers, a B180 barometer and a ADS115 voltage sensor, one wrong move with what shouldn't have been a live wire but was to the batts and that was that - tiny spark and pins gone, at least the Pi still mostly works. 

So plan B, leave the Pi safe and sound tucked away then send everything via wifi. Esps are dead cheap -  Google came up with Espeasy.
https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy

Up and running quite quickly, brief overview -
Download some software, plug the Esp into a laptop and run an install program which loads new firmware onto the esp, log onto the new Esp hotspot - a web page appers where you can connect to a network like openplotter. Log on to that network and the Esp creates a website where it's easy to connect hardware, send MQTT/UDP etc, loads of options. 
So after not too much head scratching now we have a cheapo Esp8266 reading voltage and temperature then sending it out over mqtt. Openplotter turns it into signalk in the mqtt tab. 

Looks very promising so far, multiplexing serial data with serial - TTL adaptors next, I had that working just with a basic sketch before so here's hoping! Cool
Paddy, good morning.
Are you still using the ESP Easy environment? I had a look at it and it looks to good to be true. Does ik link easily to SignalK in OP2?
If so, can you give me some pointers on how to create the link?
best,
Bart
If you are looking for an easily configurable SignalK library for ESP8266, SigKSens is a good choice. Here's an article about it:

http://signalk.org/2019/08/04/sensesp-sensors.html
(2020-01-06, 03:33 PM)abarrow Wrote: If you are looking for an easily configurable SignalK library for ESP8266, SigKSens is a good choice. Here's an article about it:

http://signalk.org/2019/08/04/sensesp-sensors.html

Yeah, looked at it. Is nice, but (as a Newby) still a bit complex. The ESP Easy is simple drop down stuff. The only think I can not solve test is how to pull data from ESP into MQTT on Raspi. And now also into SignalK in OP2 ... ?
I'd have to look at it more closely, but I suspect your solution might be to use Node-Red. I've only got a test OP2 server running right now, and Node-Red doesn't seem to be implemented there, but I have used it with MQTT on OP1.2
(2020-01-06, 04:55 PM)abarrow Wrote: I'd have to look at it more closely, but I suspect your solution might be to use Node-Red. I've only got a test OP2 server running right now, and Node-Red doesn't seem to be implemented there, but I have used it with MQTT on OP1.2

Think you are correct ...
(2020-01-06, 03:28 PM)BartStevens Wrote: Paddy, good morning.
Are you still using the ESP Easy environment? I had a look at it and it looks to good to be true. Does ik link easily to SignalK in OP2?
If so, can you give me some pointers on how to create the link?
best,
Bart

I'm slowly going over to micropython for esp32's, but from memory used node red to convert mqtt sent by espeasy to signalk data. Mqtt is all text so needs a little code to change text into numbers for signalk.
Just found out that Node-Red is actually in OP2, it's just something that has to be installed as part of the OpenPlotter Dashboards app.
(2020-01-07, 02:00 PM)abarrow Wrote: Just found out that Node-Red is actually in OP2, it's just something that has to be installed as part of the OpenPlotter Dashboards app.

There's a node-red app in signalk now, been using it for a while - seems rock solid stable. 

Maybe some sort of online file storage (or maybe github?) would be good to share things like node-red flows for common useful things node-red can do for you?
(2020-01-07, 02:12 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2020-01-07, 02:00 PM)abarrow Wrote: Just found out that Node-Red is actually in OP2, it's just something that has to be installed as part of the OpenPlotter Dashboards app.

There's a node-red app in signalk now, been using it for a while - seems rock solid stable. 

Maybe some sort of online file storage (or maybe github?) would be good to share things like node-red flows for common useful things node-red can do for you?

PaddyB,

What a great idea, a Wiki for NodeRed and the (obvious) sensors!

Bart

Seen this?

https://sites.google.com/site/olewsaa/ya...monitoring

Bart

Paddy,

(do not forget I'm newbie)

What is the direction of the data stream

"Sensor -> SignalK -> MQTT -> NodeRed -> dashboard"?

If so, how do I go from SignalK -> MQTT?

Bart
You can probably eliminate MQTT and NodeRed by using the Generic UDP option on ESPEasy. It would need some testing, but I think you could probably just create a template that is a properly formatted SignalK JSON message, insert the variables (temperature, for example) and have your SignalK server listen on that UDP port.