This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power off the pi.
Normally when I leave my boat I flip the mainswitch to be shure all my 12v consumers are off.
I dont know how good this is for the ras-pi to be shut off by power and not by SW.

How do you do it? 
Or do you leave ras-pi running all the time? Would the powerconsumption be so low so its better to connect it past the mainswitch?
I also like to view my temperatures and so on from home on the boat, so this winter my pi is running on the 230v..
During the summer I use the boat minimum one time ever week.
(2017-01-17, 12:43 PM)dreuf Wrote: Normally when I leave my boat I flip the mainswitch to be shure all my 12v consumers are off.
I dont know how good this is for the ras-pi to be shut off by power and not by SW.

How do you do it? 
Or do you leave ras-pi running all the time? Would the powerconsumption be so low so its better to connect it past the mainswitch?
I also like to view my temperatures and so on from home on the boat, so this winter my pi is running on the 230v..

Cutting power is the worst thing you can do to your SD card. It will be dead soon. You must shut it off by SW to be sure is not writing and you cut power.

Consumption with no screen and minimal connected devices is really low, you can left connected if your power bank allow this or set some battery reading system to auto-shutting off when power is low.
(2017-01-17, 07:12 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 12:43 PM)dreuf Wrote: Normally when I leave my boat I flip the mainswitch to be shure all my 12v consumers are off.

How do you do it? 

Cutting power is the worst thing you can do to your SD card. It will be dead soon. You must shut it off by SW to be sure is not writing and you cut power.

Consumption with no screen and minimal connected devices is really low, you can left connected if your power bank allow this or set some battery reading system to auto-shutting off when power is low.

Hi,

I actually played with this last night so I figured I might share my solution.
In Openplotter, I set up a Switch defined for GPIO27 on pin 13, pull down (as I recall, might have been pull up).
I then set up an Action (shutdown), defined for this new switch.
When I connect pin 13 to pin 17 (3V3), the system performs a graceful shutdown, which takes about 10 seconds. After this, power can be safely cut to the PI.
I plan on connecting a simple push-button (momentary close) to 13/17 and install it next to my power switch for the PI to facilitate easy and safe shutdowns.
For reference, here is the GPIO pinout: https://i.stack.imgur.com/sVvsB.jpg

Cheers,

Otto
(2017-01-19, 09:11 AM)ottow Wrote:

How do you do it? 

Hi,

In Openplotter, I set up a Switch defined for GPIO27 on pin 13, pull down (as I recall, might have been pull up).
When I connect pin 13 to pin 17 (3V3), the system performs a graceful shutdown, which takes about 10 seconds. After this, power can be safely cut to the PI.
I plan on connecting a simple push-button (momentary close) to 13/17 and install it next to my power switch for the PI to facilitate easy and safe shutdowns.

Cheers,

Otto
I got myself a uninterrupted power supply (UPS Pico, http://pimodules.com) which initiates a graceful shutdown on battery power when the main power supply is cut off for more than 60 sec. So I don't have to worry about two switches to push in the right order - important with the kids on the boat ...

fair winds
Christian
The power loss thing is really annoying because if you interrupt a write, it can corrupt the boot partition making the next boot fail.

The only solution I have is:
1) use second sd card on gpio, for writing and keep primary read only
2) ups system... I designed a board that uses super capacitors to give 30 seconds and
    it is cheaper to build compared to battery version.   This won't work if corrupted before the capacitors get a chance to fully charge, I guess the battery can last for several attempts?
3) use external usb flash drive, and sd card as readonly for boot

Too bad there isn't a way to disable hardware wear leveling and instead implement it in software so that read-only partitions would not face corruption...
(2017-02-10, 04:48 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: 2) ups system... I designed a board that uses super capacitors to give 30 seconds and
    it is cheaper to build compared to battery version.   This won't work if corrupted before the capacitors get a chance to fully charge, I guess the battery can last for several attempts?
The specs say that the smallest battery of 450mAh will keep the Pi running for 8min, but poweroff is scheduled after 1min (configurable) so, yes, it should last for several shutdowns.
They have also bigger batteries which will last longer, but I got this module just for save shutdown, so the 45mAh is  sufficient.
(2017-01-20, 10:23 AM)CVL Wrote:
(2017-01-19, 09:11 AM)ottow Wrote:

How do you do it? 

Hi,

Cheers,

Otto
I got myself a uninterrupted power supply (UPS Pico, http://pimodules.com) which initiates a graceful shutdown on battery power when the main power supply is cut off for more than 60 sec. So I don't have to worry about two switches to push in the right order - important with the kids on the boat ...

fair winds
Christian

UPS Pico seems nice, but its back order everywhere Sad
I use StromPi2 from www.joy-it.net for my rpi3
This strompi2 looks great, have also an 6-36v input wich I think will make the pi stable. And if I understand it correct it will also have a stable usb port to power external devices..
I have now connected my Pi to a cheap ebay 12v-5v 3A converter and the Pi is really unstable...
Think that it because the voltage is floating from 12.2-14.4v.
So now its just to find a seller who ships it outside of EU for a good price..

Edit: ebay had them, so now one is on the way Smile
[quote pid='1280' dateline='1489248899']
[quote pid='1157' dateline='1484904236']

fair winds
Christian
[/quote]

UPS Pico seems nice, but its back order everywhere Sad
[/quote]

Yes, I got mine from modmypi, but they seem out of stock as well. Following the discussions on the forum, I got the impression that it's quite a small company, without a lot of man-power to throw at production, R&D ...
But : small is beautiful, isn't it ?