This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windvane weather sensors with display virtual serial port connectivity
have a look at sean's store
https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?rt=p...uct_id=125
(2020-01-27, 06:38 PM)tjmack Wrote: Can you tell me, what is the actual wiring from the Davis cable to the Rpi? How do you make that connection? Thanks.

Hi Tjmac,

I got some help from Sean  seandepagnier@gmail.com the person running the pypilot project. I purchased his device see link below and connected that to the Rpi. The advantage in this for me was I had a display I could look at while testing and setting it all up and then I could connect it to the Rpi and have it all show up in OpenCPN/Open Plotter. I soon hope to have it show up on Navionics on the tablet and the Garmin at the wheel. 

https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?rt=p...uct_id=126

His device comes with the input jack for the plug that comes with the Davis instrument or you could wire the device yourself as I did. I only did this because I used the existing wires and mount to the old windvane. 

Wiring: 

brown - 5v
gnd - 0v
blue - wind speed
white - wind direction

Based on:
https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/blob/...ensors.ino

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

MarkMac
You need code to connect the 2. the davis pinout is on Sean's site i think.
there are 4 pins. 1 analogue wind direction 1 digital the wind speed a ground pin and a power pin. I sent 5 volts to power mine but i think Sean's is 12V. i built a Esp32 version that sends data via wifi and controls the masthead light. It uses NMEA for the wind sensor and sk for the anchor light. So i just need to send 12V up the mast. I did not include the BME XXX as i did not see much sense in putting the sensor in a sealed box. if your curious I would read though Sean's site. The davis does have a dead spot so I aligned mine so the dead spot is to the front of the boat. this way dead spot does not really interfere with the boats navigation. I previously had used a cheap Chinese wind sensor but it broke in one season and was much heaver. SK converts the NMEA to display in SK. Writing code for a boat is a bit more work then most iot applications as on the boat we are reading the device @10 hz where iot stuff is in the 1 to 5 second range.
It is not using 12 volts. Uses 5 volts for the arduino which gets this power from usb.

I recommend also aligning the dead spot forward since this never interferes with sailing. It is about 13 degrees wide.
(2020-01-28, 10:31 PM)ddelorme Wrote: You need code to connect the 2. the davis pinout is on Sean's site i think.
there are 4 pins. 1 analogue wind direction 1 digital the wind speed  a ground pin and a power pin.  I sent 5 volts to power mine but i think Sean's is 12V.  i built a Esp32 version that sends data via wifi and controls the masthead light. It uses NMEA for the wind sensor  and sk for the anchor light. So i just need to send 12V up the mast. I did not include the BME XXX as i did not see much sense in putting the sensor in a sealed box. if your curious I would read though Sean's site. The davis does have a dead spot so I aligned mine  so the dead spot is to the front of the boat. this way dead spot does not really interfere with the boats navigation. I previously had used a cheap Chinese wind sensor but it broke in one season and was much heaver.  SK converts the NMEA to display in SK. Writing code for a boat is a bit more work then most iot applications as on the boat we are reading the device @10 hz where iot  stuff is in the 1 to 5 second range.

I started porting to NodeMCU(esp8266), which should be compatible with esp32 but immediately ran into library differences.
Think i resolved those; curious what libs were used - source/version?

Then ran into some compliler error(s).  Is the code on github Up-To-Date.

Ideally, i would like to convert to a Solid-State w/WIFI acquisition  method for getting wx/wind-info into OpenCPN/OpenPlotter/Pypilot.

Additionally, to retrofit a speed-through-water(paddle-wheel) sensor; acquiring via voltage or pulse.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
I bought the weather sensors with display and tinypilot from Sean and when I plug the Davis wind vane into the weather sensor everyting seems to work but there is no [W] on the Tinypilot. What is supposed to show on the Tinypilot when the vane is connected? How do i check if Tinypilot is receiving the data?

Thanks
Can you plug the weather sensors into the usb port of a computer and see the serial stream of nmea0183 at 38400 baud?

To plug into tinypilot you should use a usb otg adaptor to plug into the micro usb port of the pi zero.
(2020-02-11, 02:37 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Can you plug the weather sensors into the usb port of a computer and see the serial stream of nmea0183 at 38400 baud?

To plug into tinypilot you should use a usb otg adaptor to plug into the micro usb port of the pi zero.

Hi Sean, I used the otg adaptor that you supplied but I've ordered another one just in case. I've tried 3 usb cables so definitely not that.  I'll plug the vane into my pc to see if it's transmitting data.

Plugged vane into usb port of laptop and get the following so I'm guessing cable is fine, could be the otg:-

$ARMWV,288.91,R,10.51,N,A*11
$ARMWV,288.97,R,9.67,N,A*2a
$ARMWV,288.99,R,9.67,N,A*24
$ARMDA,,,1.00033,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*36
$ARMTA,26.56,C*21
$ARMTA,26.56,C*21
$ARMTA,26.56,C*21
$ARMTA,26.56,C*21
Tried 2 otg cables with no joy so bought one of these and it now works

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018...UTF8&psc=1
sorry, there are many defective parts and some cables might be charge only. I'm glad you got it working.