This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier 2 HAT showing as not attached
Hi there, I'm new to this and on a steep learning curve but I'm keen to get it working on my boat.

I installed "2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Moitessier-HAT-v2.0-pre-release-NOOBS" onto an new Raspberry PI 4 4GB with on a 64GB card. 

I went into Open Plotter -> Moitessier HAT -> Drivers and updated the driver to the latest driver, which shows green against my kernel version.

Then I powered down, connected the HAT and then powered back up. Going back into the Moitessier HAT setup I ran the Check System and it shows the HAT not attached as does the Check System run from the toolbar.

I'm a little confused as some functions of the HAT seem to be working. When I move it around the values for Magnetic Heading, Pitch and Heel seem to change in a way linked to the movement and the Barometric Pressure is changing - it's fallen from 1032 to 1030 over the last couple of hours which is in line with the pressure I am expecting to see (per XCWeather).

So on the one hand it's saying it's not connected but on the other some parts of it are working and it has green lights flashing, so clearly it is connected.

If anybody has any suggestions where I should go from here I'd be most grateful.

Thanks very much.

Lindsey
(2020-02-23, 05:41 PM)lindseygill Wrote: Hi there, I'm new to this and on a steep learning curve but I'm keen to get it working on my boat.

I installed "2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Moitessier-HAT-v2.0-pre-release-NOOBS" onto an new Raspberry PI 4 4GB with on a 64GB card. 

I went into Open Plotter -> Moitessier HAT -> Drivers and updated the driver to the latest driver, which shows green against my kernel version.

Then I powered down, connected the HAT and then powered back up. Going back into the Moitessier HAT setup I ran the Check System and it shows the HAT not attached as does the Check System run from the toolbar.

I'm a little confused as some functions of the HAT seem to be working. When I move it around the values for Magnetic Heading, Pitch and Heel seem to change in a way linked to the movement and the Barometric Pressure is changing - it's fallen from 1032 to 1030 over the last couple of hours which is in line with the pressure I am expecting to see (per XCWeather).

So on the one hand it's saying it's not connected but on the other some parts of it are working and it has green lights flashing, so clearly it is connected.

If anybody has any suggestions where I should go from here I'd be most grateful.

Thanks very much.

Lindsey
Hi, you must first update the kernel in raspy (if it is not updated: type: "uname -a" to check). Restart and you should find the latest driver (4.19.97-v7) in the HAT. Update the driver. You should reboot and you should be fine! Good wind!  Smile
(2020-02-23, 06:16 PM)Max1947 Wrote: Hi, you must first update the kernel in raspy (if it is not updated: type: "uname -a" to check). Restart and you should find the latest driver (4.19.97-v7) in the HAT. Update the driver. You should reboot and you should be fine! Good wind!  Smile

Thanks Max

I updated the Kernel so it is on the same version as the driver version and I re-installed the driver, which seemed to work as I got a message Firmware Update Successful, but having rebooted the PI I still get the message that the HAT is not attached.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious bit I can't figure it out.

All the best

Lindsey
(2020-02-23, 07:50 PM)lindseygill Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 06:16 PM)Max1947 Wrote: Hi, you must first update the kernel in raspy (if it is not updated: type: "uname -a" to check). Restart and you should find the latest driver (4.19.97-v7) in the HAT. Update the driver. You should reboot and you should be fine! Good wind!  Smile

Thanks Max

I updated the Kernel so it is on the same version as the driver version and I re-installed the driver, which seemed to work as I got a message Firmware Update Successful, but having rebooted the PI I still get the message that the HAT is not attached.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious bit I can't figure it out.

All the best

Lindsey

Ok, have you configured the CAP in "serial"? You should go to "Serial" and find "moitessier" in the devices. Then in connection "edit" and then "add to SK" and click "auto". Good job. Smile
Weird. Please type this in a terminal:

Code:
cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product

You should get "Moitessier HAT"
(2020-02-24, 07:57 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Weird. Please type this in a terminal:

Code:
cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product

You should get "Moitessier HAT"

Sorry I've been unable to look at this for a few days.

I get a directory not found error when I ran that command. I don't seem to have a 'hat' directory under '/proc/device-tree'.

Just to summarise my steps:

1. I've installed Noobs Lite v3_2 on newly formatted micro sd card which has been put into a Pi 4
  2. I've tried both updating and not updating the system. By default I have kernel 4.19.75 and driver moitessier_4.19.75-v7l+.ko
  3. I have set a static IP address for the PI but can't see why this should be a problem
  4. I set the pi up for VNC access
  5. I attached the HAT. I'm getting some data from it, for example barometric pressure
  6. But the HAT still shows as not attached.
Just to try it out I attached the HAT to a PI3 and the HAT shows as attached so it is clearly working and there is something odd about my installation. I do have another Pi4 being delivered tomorrow so I'll try it on that one too just to rule out hardware problems on the Pi 4 I've been using.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Are AIS and GPS sending data in your "not attached" configuration?