This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SignalK not sending $GPGSV (sats in view) to Cpn
It seems SigK doesn't forward the $GPGSV sentence. I have been unable to find a way to do this to provide the data to the Ocpn 5.0 Dashboard GPS Status display.

Only way I can display this info is to add a connection in cpn directly to the serial device & filter just this sentence in the receive filter.

Seems to work fine but of course the OP2 Serial App is covered in red as I now have two connections to the serial port. The cpn connection is set as input only, so not trying to write through both.

Do folks think is an ok solution or am I heading for a fall Sad

Thanks Paul
You mean that just this sentence is dropped from the data available at tcp 10110?

If so could you provide a sample of your data to debug this further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(2020-03-05, 06:10 PM)tkurki Wrote: You mean that just this sentence is dropped from the data available at tcp 10110?

If so could you provide a sample of your data to debug this further.

Using the cpn nmea monitor this sentence never appears using TCP 10110. Only with my additional connection. There are some other gps sentences that appear as well with the direct connection.

I assumed that as $GPGSV is not listed in the SigK-to-NMEA0183 app it won't be passed through, but maybe I misunderstand,  does the TCP 10110 stuff arriving in cpn pass through the converter app or is it all just supposed to flow through?

Let me know exactly what you need & I will sort it tomorrow.

Thanks for the response.
Paul
Nmea0183 input that SK server sees is available as is at tcp 10110, no conversions to sk and back involved. This is why what you describe sounds really odd.

If you connect SK server to the same serial input as O you get different data?

You can turn on data logging in SK server to see exactly what it is seeing as input.

Getting confused now, will look again Friday.

Will test more throughly to try to be clear about when things do/don't work.

Thanks for the pointers so far.
Paul
Cpn connection to TCP 10110 only with no input filtering:
SignalK "Convert SignalK to NMEA0183" active with all ticked
Cpn Debug window shows Received messages:  GGA, GLL, RMC, VTG, ZDA
GPS signal indicator (top right) shows bars for signal ok, dashboard shows position, SOG & Compass but no Sat status. The ZDA is presumably because I have the set system Time Plugin active in SignalK.

If I de-activate the SignalK "Convert SignalK to NMEA0183" Plugin I receive nothing at all in the Cpn Debug window
-------------------

Cpn connection direct to serial port only with no input filtering:
Cpn Debug window shows Received messages: GGA, GLL, RMC, VTG, GSV
GPS signal indicator (top right) shows bars for signal ok, dashboard shows position, SOG, Compass and Sat Status

From this it seems you need the Plugin to convert to NMEA0183 to be active for Cpn to see anything & the GSV sentence is not listed in this plugin so presumably that's why I don't see it via SignalK.

Or maybe I got something else wrong somewhere?

Cpn V5.0.0
SIgnalK v1.24.0

Thanks, Paul
What inputs do you have in SK? Wheredoes the data that the plugin is converting to 0183 come from?

One usb serial nmea 0183 38.4k baud input from my Quark GPS.
(2020-03-06, 05:34 PM)paul42 Wrote: One usb serial nmea 0183  38.4k baud input  from my Quark GPS.

With OpenPlotter SignalK filter application you can see what SignalK receives from your GPS setup.
Something is off, as I said all your NMEA0183 data should be available at tcp 10110 without any plugins or extra configurationfor all nmea0183 input connections.

Let's go step by step:
- disable signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin
- with your GPS configured in Signal K do you see data in for example InstrumentPanel?
- if there is data what does http://yourserveraddress:port/signalk/v1/api/sources output look like?
- can you issue the command
Code:
telnet localhost 10110
in your server's terminal - this should show your nmea0183 data flowing
- alternativelu you can configure input data logging at server admin's Settings, restart and see what the data looks like in the log file

I am trying to ascertain that there is nmea0183 data input active and it is available at tcp 10110 as is.