This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2
openplotter-sdr-vhf 2.1.0 beta is released. Test and report please.

Calibration steps and GUI has changed, I will not give any clue to check usability Smile

Remember:
- SDR devices can only be used by one program at a time.
- If you have more than one device you can select which one you want to use in some tools and some others will take the first available device.
- Background processes are monitored and you will be warned if there are conflicts between devices.
- When a device is not being used the kernel recovers control of it and can be used to watch TV using DVB-T tool. Remember to scan available channels.

Never tested with a funcube but it should work.

It could be some errors with audio (pulseaudio) that we will fix in later releases.

Enjoy!
This is awesome! I can't wait to try some of the new add-ons.

Just one little thing at the moment. After upgrading, when I click calibrate on the AIS, and "Get Channel" the terminal pops up and gives "error: bad band indicator: ``-e'' "

I probably should add that since I'm one of those people who can't read directions, I installed ALL the plugins before I realized I shouldn't have, and then uninstalled all except the AIS.
Try adding something in ppm field
That did it. Perhaps it should default to 0 or something?
(2020-05-09, 08:32 PM)Sailoog Wrote: openplotter-sdr-vhf 2.1.0 beta is released. Test and report please.

Calibration steps and GUI has changed, I will not give any clue to check usability Smile

Remember:
- If you have more than one device you can select which one you want to use in some tools and some others will take the first available device.
- Background processes are monitored and you will be warned if there are conflicts between devices.
- When a device is not being used the kernel recovers control of it and can be used to watch TV using DVB-T tool. Remember to scan available channels.

It could be some errors with audio (pulseaudio) that we will fix in later releases.

Enjoy!
Hi Sailoog,

did some first trials with the latest beta software for the DSR-RTL dongle.

The Ais reception works very well. The Aviation AIS also works, but still no TV reception. However the DAB radio reception works very well
but not all the available station show up.

Anyway great progress again. Thanks for all the efforts.

Regards,

Bram

See image

Attached Files Image(s)

I didn’t get past calibration. The cumulative ppm was between -2 and -4 after 1:30hr then I came back 30 mins later and it was -100 and dropping (well going towards zero) fast - never really stabilized.
Hi Sailoog!

The neu SDR AIS is great!

Thank you so much for the work!

All SDR tools are working fine using a SDR-RTL Stick: 

Code:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T

DVB Radio and GQRX are also working great.
Only DVB-T is not. Here is the result:

Code:
w_scan -ft -c AT -L 
w_scan version 20170107 (compiled for DVB API 5.10)
using settings for AUSTRIA
DVB aerial
DVB-T Europe
scan type TERRESTRIAL, channellist 4
output format vlc xspf playlist
output charset 'ISO-8859-1'
Info: using DVB adapter auto detection.
main:4007: FATAL: ***** NO USEABLE TERRESTRIAL CARD FOUND. *****
Please check wether dvb driver is loaded and
verify that no dvb application (i.e. vdr) is running.

I think, my System doesn't recognize the RTL-SDR-Stick as a DVB adapter?
Can anybody give me some help?
Thanks, Harald
(2020-05-10, 09:54 PM)harald99 Wrote: Hi Sailoog!

The neu SDR AIS is great!

Thank you so much for the work!

All SDR tools are working fine using a SDR-RTL Stick: 

Code:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T

DVB Radio and GQRX are also working great.
Only DVB-T is not. Here is the result:

Code:
w_scan -ft -c AT -L 
w_scan version 20170107 (compiled for DVB API 5.10)
using settings for AUSTRIA
DVB aerial
DVB-T Europe
scan type TERRESTRIAL, channellist 4
output format vlc xspf playlist
output charset 'ISO-8859-1'
Info: using DVB adapter auto detection.
main:4007: FATAL: ***** NO USEABLE TERRESTRIAL CARD FOUND. *****
Please check wether dvb driver is loaded and
verify that no dvb application (i.e. vdr) is running.

I think, my System doesn't recognize the RTL-SDR-Stick as a DVB adapter?
Can anybody give me some help?
Thanks, Harald

All the manuals you will find in internet for SDR in linux say that you should blacklist the SDR devices so the existing driver for TV in linux kernel do not take control of your devices. We do not do this, we disable and enable the kernel driver only when necessary. It seems that you have blacklisted the SDR devices and kernel can not use them, remove it in /etc/modprobe.d
(2020-05-10, 11:03 AM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 08:32 PM)Sailoog Wrote: openplotter-sdr-vhf 2.1.0 beta is released. Test and report please.

Remember:

Enjoy!
Hi Sailoog,

did some first trials with the latest beta software for the DSR-RTL dongle.

The Ais reception works very well. The Aviation AIS also works, but still no TV reception. However the DAB radio reception works very well
but not all the available station show up.

Anyway great progress again. Thanks for all the efforts.

Regards,

Bram

See image

Each tool included in openplotter-sdr-vhf will need its own antenna for the right frequency but we have included the tools that more or less you can get data with a VHF/AIS antenna. TV reception is the most difficult to get with these antennas because TV signal is the weaker and you need a directional antenna and our antennas are omnidirectional. But if you are outdoor you should get at least the stronger channels.
Thanks Sailoog, it works! I found a PPM of 52 on my RTL-SDR .... what is not clear is how to set the GAIN, at the moment I set it to the maximum of the values indicated in the check. Is there a way to find the best gain value?

Attached Files Image(s)