This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused over SK Connections
Sad 
PaddyB,
I tried your Node-Red suggestion and I can see NMEA data in the debug window when I connect to the IP address/port of my Navmon simulator. 
I also added a SignalK subscribe node and can see "navigation.position" being correctly generated in SignalK.
But still nothing arriving at OCPN 

I've also taken your suggestion and posted a question on Slack.

Thanks
I'm still on the road to nowhere ...
PaddyB
You recommended SKSim so I tried it on a spare OP2 SDCard
Just the same ... I can see SK paths in the Dashboard, Data Browser but no NMEA goes out to OCPN.

When you've run the SKSim do you see NMEA at OCPN ?
I dont have to define any specific additional connections in SK (the NMEA should just be there on port 10110 for OCPN right ?
Im going to try a complete new OP Noobs install to see if that works
OK end of the road for me.
For anyone who may be interested. I set up a fresh instal of the OP2 Image including SignalK
I allowed the Pi to instal updates
I then installed the SKSim plugin.
I also installed a physical USB GPS and setup an SK connection for it.
With GPS connection enabled I got SK paths in the dashboard and I also got NMEA into OpenCPN on port 10110
With SKSim running I saw SK paths in the dashboard but no NMEA sentences into OpenCPN
Seems to me its a SignalK issue
I dont know how SK paths are translated into NMEA 0183 but it seems that although SK will route incoming NMEA from a serial port and concurrently create SK paths , it will not create an NMEA sentence from a SK path generated by a simulator or route an NMEA sentence if its sent over TCP.
If anyone has any evidence to contradict then Im all ears otherwise. I give up Sad
(2020-05-22, 07:20 PM)affinite Wrote: OK end of the road for me.
For anyone who may be interested. I set up a fresh instal of the OP2 Image including SignalK
I allowed the Pi to instal updates
I then installed the SKSim plugin.
I also installed a physical USB GPS and setup an SK connection for it.
With GPS connection enabled I got SK paths in the dashboard and I also got NMEA into OpenCPN on port 10110
With SKSim running I saw SK paths in the dashboard but no NMEA sentences into OpenCPN
Seems to me its a SignalK issue
I dont know how SK paths are translated into NMEA 0183 but it seems that although SK will route incoming NMEA from a serial port and concurrently create SK paths , it will not create an NMEA sentence from a SK path generated by a simulator or route an NMEA sentence if its sent over TCP.
If anyone has any evidence to contradict then Im all ears otherwise. I give up Sad

What file were you playing back from navmon? Struggling with a lack of understanding of how tcp clients/servers work in node red & signalk - can't get any data through, udp works OK with nmea messages send to a udp connection in sigK getting echoes out tcp port 10110. 

SkSim doesn't produce any nmea sentences, only signlk data so to get nmea from that you need the siigk - nmea app running and some sentences selected. works fine on my Rpi. 

Surprised you get sigk created from incoming nmea but it doesn't get echoed..

also - a quick way to check what's being sent on tcp is in a terminal, < /dev/tcp/10.10.10.1/10110

This is from SkSim through the sigK-nmea converter>>

pi@openplotter:~/.signalk $ cat < /dev/tcp/10.10.10.1/10110
$IIHDT,156.4,T*24
$GPGGA,052443,3659.9077,N,00800.0214,W,1,4,1.605,0,M,0,M,,*5D
$GPRMC,,A,3659.9077,N,00800.0214,W,4.7,156.4,,,E*40
$IIMWV,53.67,R,4.07,M,A*0A

Another thing I found from lots of fiddling and looking at pi@openplotter:~ $ cat .signalk/settings.json
To set the port and server address in a server connection, first set it up as a client with the port and IP , save, then change the type to a server and save again. Not immediately obvious... Smile
PaddyB
That's very helpful in clarifying my thoughts.
I still dont understand why I cant get NMEA over TCP to work but its not that important.
As you say, I can use the SK-NMEA plugin to generate sentences from SK sent by either SKSIM or NavMon.
Thanks again
Just got it working Smile
Fiddled for a while with the laptop and pi both connected to a network created by a mobile phone hotspot. Nothing doing. Then logged the laptop onto the openplotter network, did 'ipconfig' on a termoinal to find the laptop ip address - 10.10.10.149, navmon running on the laptop set as a server on port 12345, new connection in signalk set to 10.10.10.149, port 12345. restart signalk and signalk data showing in the databrowser. Opencpn on the Pi set in connection to localhost port 10110 and all the nmea is there. Must have been something weird about the data going through another network maybe but it works fine logged onto the openplotter network Cool
(2020-05-23, 12:21 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Just got it working Smile
Fiddled for a while with the laptop and pi both connected to a network created by a mobile phone hotspot. Nothing doing. Then logged the laptop onto the openplotter network, did 'ipconfig' on a termoinal to find the laptop ip address - 10.10.10.149, navmon running on the laptop set as a server on port 12345, new connection in signalk set to 10.10.10.149, port 12345. restart signalk and signalk data showing in the databrowser. Opencpn on the Pi set in connection to localhost port 10110 and all the nmea is there. Must  have been something weird about the data going through another network maybe but it works fine logged onto the openplotter network Cool

What a star ...
Having tried to re-install SignalK, I've managed to loose my Node-Red dashboard now !!!
Once I've recovered that I'll try your setup
Thanks again,again
(2020-05-23, 01:27 PM)affinite Wrote: What a star ...
Having tried to re-install SignalK, I've managed to loose my Node-Red dashboard now !!!
Thanks again,again

It got me a bit obsessed as well Smile  Smile 
Still not really got how tcp servers and clients work but know far more now, so thanks for that Smile
(2020-05-23, 02:02 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2020-05-23, 01:27 PM)affinite Wrote: What a star ...
Thanks again,again

It got me a bit obsessed as well Smile  Smile 
Still not really got how tcp servers and clients work but know far more now, so thanks for that Smile

PaddyB
Thanks again - you nailed it. 
I setup an old laptop running NavMon on the same net as the RPi and Bobs your Auntie .. NavMon Sim NMEA out to OCPN
I'm (virtually) sailing in San-Francisco bay right now Smile
Thank you all, but I'm still in doubt.