This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal K
My sailboat has a Simrad instrument set (speed, depth, wind) with NMEA output. a USB GPS, and a MPU 9250 compass and pitch roll both interfaced with OpenPlotter and outputting fine on the respective dashboards.  I would like to input the compass data froo the MPU and the GPS data from the USB into the Simrad instrument NMEA using the Signal K software. it is all running on a R PI 3B. Is this possible and how would I go about doing it?
(2020-06-17, 11:12 PM)ssth@yahoo.com Wrote: My sailboat has a Simrad instrument set (speed, depth, wind) with NMEA output. 

So if you tell more about this Simrad - we are able to tell you to how get NMEA Data INTO it.
If there is only NMEA out then there is NO easy Way to solve your Answer, sorry.

HoW
(2020-06-18, 08:22 PM)holgerw Wrote:
(2020-06-17, 11:12 PM)ssth@yahoo.com Wrote: My sailboat has a Simrad instrument set (speed, depth, wind) with NMEA output. 

So if you tell more about this Simrad - we are able to tell you to how get NMEA Data INTO it.
If there is only NMEA out then there is NO easy Way to solve your Answer, sorry.

HoW

Thanks for the reply.  The simrad instruments  are reporting to OpenPlotter through a Prolific NMEA USB cable connected to the Pi.  OpenPlotter pics up the info great, but I have not been able to send lat/lon informationf from my GPS nor any compass information from my MPU9250 back to the Simrad readouts.

I am also having a problem maintaining GPS (UBLOX) info into OpenPlotter.  I use the connection tab in OpenPlotter Options and the serial data port identified with the UBLOX is /dev/tty/ACM0.  I also have a MPU9250 attached through OpenPlotter.  As soon as I add the MPU9250 through Signal K, I loose the GPS.  The MPU9250 chip reports to OpenPlotter successfully, and I can get pitch, heel, and true compass readings very successfully, but no GPS anywhere (to Simrad or to OpenPlotter).

Any help on either or both of these problems would be greatly appreciated.
I did produce a SD card version of OpenPlotter that does not have the I2C activated that does send GPS data to OpenPlotter but it does not transfer the GPS data to the Simrad instruments.  However, my Simrad instruments do receive course to mark, distance to mark and cross track error when I plot a course with OpenPlotter, so Simrad is getting data as is my Raymarine autopilot.
I am using Openplotter HDM data from Pypilot for my navigation and would like Signal K to transmit the data HDM to my Simrad NMEA 0183 instruments. What Signal K commands do I need to do this?

Openplotter readily accepts all of the Simrad data (wind, speed, depth, etc) but I have been unsuccessful in sending data back to the instruments.
The Simrad instruments are connected to a NMEA 0183 in/out converter.