This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gps difficulties
I have a rp4 with a vk 162/ublox 7 gps.  It seems after a couple reboots on a fresh install the gps will no longer work. Signalk says "device or resource busy".  The only way I can get it to work is by doing the following commands from here: https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/troubleshooting.html
Sudo killall gpsd 
Sudo killall -9 gpsd
Sudo rm /run/gpsd.sock
Gpsd /dev/ttyACM0
That sometimes works but other times not. 
Trying to see if something else is using the gps by doing lsof-n | grep /dev/ttyACM0 also does not return anything. I never had this problem before until the other day,  and I did a fresh install multiple times and now it continues to happen. Any ideas??
what is your setting in signal k?
do you need GPSD?
(2020-07-07, 06:57 PM)Sailoog Wrote: what is your setting in signal k?
do you need GPSD?

I set it up in the serial window, give it an alias and choose nmea0183.  Then I add the connection to signal k with the auto button.  And in signalk I have the signalk to nmea0183 plugin set up.  So I have no idea if I need gpsd or not.  But I will post some screenshots when I am at the boat later with the exact setup.
you do not need gpsd so be sure you do not have any connection to gpsd in serail app.

you do not need signalk to nmea0183 plugin because signal k server converts nmea 0183 to signak k and sends nmea 0183 to TCP localhost 10110 automatically. opencpn should listen only to TCP localhost 10110.

be sure there are not more apps using the alias or /dev/ttyACM0

some devices take more time to start working, try setting a delay of some seconds at startup in openplotter settings app
(2020-07-07, 07:46 PM)Sailoog Wrote: you do not need gpsd so be sure you do not have any connection to gpsd in serail app.

you do not need signalk to nmea0183 plugin because signal k server converts nmea 0183 to signak k and sends nmea 0183 to TCP localhost 10110 automatically. opencpn should listen only to TCP localhost 10110.

be sure there are not more apps using the alias or /dev/ttyACM0

some devices take more time to start working, try setting a delay of some seconds at startup in openplotter settings app
There is no connection to gpsd in the serial app.  I turned on the signalk to nmea0183 because i previously had an issue where vmg would not display.  Turning that on solved that problem but I can try to turn it off.  I tried to look for other apps using it with lsof -n | grep /dev/ttyACM0 but I did not try it with the alias.  I will give that a try as well as look into setting a delay.
I removed the signalk to nmea0183 thing and all seems ok.  GPS is still working in opencpn but signalk says it is busy.  It seems that pypilot is using the process using it.  Attached are the gps setup and signalk setup

Attached Files Image(s)

(2020-07-07, 10:42 PM)Cheezeitz51 Wrote: I removed the signalk to nmea0183 thing and all seems ok.  GPS is still working in opencpn but signalk says it is busy.  It seems that pypilot is using the process using it.  Attached are the gps setup and signalk setup

what means "GPS is still working in opencpn but signalk says it is busy"?
if the GPS is not working in signal k, opencpn will not get data unless you have set a serial input in opencpn. Opencpn must have only a network connection to TCP localhost 10110
(2020-07-08, 07:25 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2020-07-07, 10:42 PM)Cheezeitz51 Wrote: I removed the signalk to nmea0183 thing and all seems ok.  GPS is still working in opencpn but signalk says it is busy.  It seems that pypilot is using the process using it.  Attached are the gps setup and signalk setup

what means "GPS is still working in opencpn but signalk says it is busy"?
if the GPS is not working in signal k, opencpn will not get data unless you have set a serial input in opencpn. Opencpn must have only a network connection to TCP localhost 10110

In signalk the gps status was "error device or resource busy" but opencpn had gps.  Attached is the opencpn connections I have set up, just tcp 10110.  But I restarted it and the gps stopped working again.  No errors in signalk but there is no position information signalk.  I tried to see what was using the gps and I got what is in the second picture, looks like node was using it.  I then killed node and then rechecked and pypilot was using the gps.  Then signalk said error device or resource busy and opencpn still did not have gps.  So then I killed pypilot and nothing was using the gps for a second and then pypilot started to use it again.   I also attached what signalk is saying.

I also set a delay of 15s in the settings window per your suggestion

I Uninstaller pypilot and restarted signalk. The gps is used by all the node processes again so im assuming that must be signalk. There are no errors but position is null. Cgps -s also has no data.

I completely removed the gps from the serial window, restarted, and cgps -s had output again. I readded it to the serial and made the connection to signalk. It started working again, who knows for how long though

Apparently not very long because it stopped working again. Everything is removed from the serial window but cgps -s has no data and i cannot get it to work at all now. Maybe I need a new gps or something because I am extremely confused.

Attached Files Image(s)

This sounds like you had pypilot, gpsd and signalk competing for access to the serial gps. I would remove gpsd from the picture by uninstalling it.

Opencpn is not a problem with its tcp connection. If Signal K has location O will most likely also work.

If the gps stops working spontaneously (without a reboot) it sounds like a hardware problem. I’d start from checking physical connections. If that does not help no name usb gps pucks are a cheap way to check if your current gps is faulty.

If the problems are related to reboots removing the extra processes from the picture should give you a stable system.

Yes, Signal K shows up as node process.

PS: when writing to the forum about problems like this please avoid phrases like ”it is not working” and ”restarting it”, because it is really hard to tell what ”it” is: Pi? Sk server? Gpsd?OpenCpn? (this is for everybody here in the forum, not particularly about your posts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(2020-07-09, 08:53 AM)tkurki Wrote: This sounds like you had pypilot, gpsd and signalk competing for access to the serial gps. I would remove gpsd from the picture by uninstalling it.

Opencpn is not a problem with its tcp connection. If Signal K has location O will most likely also work.

If the gps stops working spontaneously (without a reboot) it sounds like a hardware problem. I’d start from checking physical connections. If that does not help no name usb gps pucks are a cheap way to check if your current gps is faulty.

If the problems are related to reboots removing the extra processes from the picture should give you a stable system.

Yes, Signal K shows up as node process.

PS: when writing to the forum about problems like this please avoid phrases like ”it is not working” and ”restarting it”, because it is really hard to tell what ”it” is: Pi? Sk server? Gpsd?OpenCpn? (this is for everybody here in the forum, not particularly about your posts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try removing gpsd.  The weird thing is it usually only happens on a reboot without even touching the gps.  Even when it appears signalk is using the gps ok sometimes the gps just has no data in cgps -s.  I tried plugging the gps into my laptop and it took awhile but eventually the gps showed data.  I then plugged it into the pi and it worked fine.  So I am leaning towards the gps being no good.  I ordered a new one.  I will try to be more clear as well.