This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alpha tinypilot image
I have rewritten large portions of pypilot since december (the last stable release) and finally have a tinypilot image to share.

I do not suggest everyone upgrade because it is not really tested and proven yet, but if you are curious or want to offer testing please give it a shot:
https://pypilot.org/images/tinypilot_23082020.img.xz

The new features include:

• detect and automatically connect to signalk
  • faster boot time
  • support new improved display with higher resolution and not having problems of nokia5110
  • increase frequency to 20hz from 10hz
  • improved calibration display as well as algorithm
  • support 433mhz RF remotes
  • additional 7 hardware keys are possible on the new pypilot hat
  • backlight can dim
  • can reassign keys, IR remote and RF remote keys to many functions from web interface
  • can support many types of IR remotes without special programming
  • support AP client mode with fixed IP
  • translate in many more languages
  • completely new data interface to reduce data transmission.  This allows certain logic like calibration or eventually machine learning training to run on a remote host if needed
  • support esp32 micropython for display and control
  • everything running on python3 instead of python2
  • improved response to control and improved manual control
  • improved web control for setting gains
  • support additional nmea0183 port on hat (422 galvanic isolated future option)
  • support nmea0183 tcp client connection
I think there are a few more older improvements to the source code as well.   Not everything is extensively tested and so this is not even really a beta image.   expect there to be bugs.   Many features require new hardware this is not widely available yet.   the opencpn plugin will not work without upgrading it too.  You have to upgrade pypilot on openplotter for example if you control a tinypilot from openplotter using those scripts.
Hello Sean,

I have downloaded the image and looked at some of the improvements you made, very impressive.
I was  looking forward to an RF remote and AP client mode.
Will you share a new hardware recipe in the near future?
Curious to learn how the remote communicates with the RasPi, maybe using the SPI bus.
With the additional buttons The Pi may be running out of GPIO lines.

Building a waterproof remote with many functions is not so easy.
For my current tillerpilot I built a Seatalk remote using a cheap  4 button keyfob.
Standby /Auto, steer  port/starboard and tack is enough

I like the new functionality and plan to hold off making a nice enclosure until the new tinypilot is finalized.
there is an arduino on the spi bus. This provides the 7 additional gpio (they can also maybe do analog inputs in the future) as well as the rf receiver and additional nmea port.

I will post a schematic soon.
(2020-08-25, 05:06 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I have rewritten large portions of pypilot since december (the last stable release) and finally have a tinypilot image to share.

I do not suggest everyone upgrade because it is not really tested and proven yet, but if you are curious or want to offer testing please give it a shot:
https://pypilot.org/images/tinypilot_23082020.img.xz

The new features include:

• detect and automatically connect to signalk
  • faster boot time
  • support new improved display with higher resolution and not having problems of nokia5110
  • increase frequency to 20hz from 10hz
  • improved calibration display as well as algorithm
  • support 433mhz RF remotes
  • additional 7 hardware keys are possible on the new pypilot hat
  • backlight can dim
  • can reassign keys, IR remote and RF remote keys to many functions from web interface
  • can support many types of IR remotes without special programming
  • support AP client mode with fixed IP
  • translate in many more languages
  • completely new data interface to reduce data transmission.  This allows certain logic like calibration or eventually machine learning training to run on a remote host if needed
  • support esp32 micropython for display and control
  • everything running on python3 instead of python2
  • improved response to control and improved manual control
  • improved web control for setting gains
  • support additional nmea0183 port on hat (422 galvanic isolated future option)
  • support nmea0183 tcp client connection
I think there are a few more older improvements to the source code as well.   Not everything is extensively tested and so this is not even really a beta image.   expect there to be bugs.   Many features require new hardware this is not widely available yet.   the opencpn plugin will not work without upgrading it too.  You have to upgrade pypilot on openplotter for example if you control a tinypilot from openplotter using those scripts.

Hi Sean

So i installed this new image on my old TinyPilot which I have not been using since the compass started tp wandering. 
I have not had a chance to calibrate yet but I did have some difficulty with getting it connected to the Pypilot plugin

I did notice it boots faster, I noticed it was much more responsive when using the remote, and I notice an improved ui on the webapp. I set a static IP address without any challenges and it connected no problem.

It did not seem to detect and automatically connect to signal K, I added my own connection but regardless the pypilot plugin I just updated today still (0.10) did not connect to it, other then changing the connection IP within the plugin, I used 10.10.10.60 and adding the 20220 tcp connection to 10.10.10.60 is there anything else I need to do? The Dashboard is getting pitch,heel, heading etc..
You have to grant read/write access in signalk web interface. Maybe this the reason?

the opencpn pypilot plugin must be recompiled from git

Otherwise, have a look at the log, or ssh into tinypilot and:

stop pypilot:
sudo sv d pypilot
pypilot

have a look at the output, there may be clues about signalk.
Photo 
(2020-08-27, 04:04 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: You have to grant read/write access in signalk web interface.  Maybe this the reason?

the opencpn pypilot plugin must be recompiled from git

Otherwise, have a look at the log, or ssh into tinypilot and:

stop pypilot:
sudo sv d pypilot
pypilot

have a look at the output, there may be clues about signalk.

Thanks Sean

I think this looks correct? 

I have a read/write connection in SignalK. It took a bit of digging around but I found the spot where I can approve the connection and edit it to be read/write

I did build the plugin from git yesterday using these instructions

git clone https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot_pi
cd pypilot_pi
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install

Is that the correct repository?

here is a section of the pypilot log that looks to be the sk connection attempt.

Code:
servo probe False
servo probe False
zeroconf service add openplotter._http._tcp.local. _http._tcp.local.
servo probe False
signalk server found 10.10.10.1:3000
signalk probe... 10.10.10.1:3000
servo probe False
servo probe False
servo probe False

But even though all this looks correct I still do not have a connection on the Pypilot plugin....? Not sure about the values in the dashboard either, but the imu has not been calibrated so maybe that is why the values are not making any sense?

Attached Files Image(s)

it appears you are getting heading pitch and roll from pypilot to signalk correct? Can you see this in the data browser.

I'm going to play with the plugin and try to find problems.
Yes. And that data is being received by the openCPN dashboard
hmm.. something seems wrong with the conversions, maybe it's degrees vs radians
(2020-08-29, 11:00 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: hmm.. something seems wrong with the conversions, maybe it's degrees vs radians

Here's a few screen shots of the data browser... I had already reverted back to using the Moiteissier hat as I am planning on going fishing but I reconnected the tiny pilot to signal k so I could show you the data... that is why there are two sets for each set of data... interesting how different they are. Keep in mind the TinyPilot has not yet been calibrated.

Attached Files Image(s)