This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Controller 2.0
This is probable a simple question, but I haven't found an answer. 
I am using the motor controller 2.0, from the store to control an actuator. 
I have connected the controller + and - to a 12v psu, but Im not sure how to connect the actuator. Ive tried multiple ways, but none seem to works, and the psu always shorts.
Help?
Try connecting a pair of LED's with 10K series resistor to the motor output. ( without the actuator)
You should see the LED's switch on depending on direction

As in this pic :
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...egUIARCSAQ

If this works your actuator may be defective or the power supply can't provide enough current.
You may want to try a boat or car battery instead
(2020-08-28, 04:41 PM)SYWindveer Wrote: Try connecting a pair of LED's with 10K series resistor to the motor output. ( without the actuator)

As in this pic :

If this works your actuator may be defective or the power supply can't provide enough current.

My problem isn't anything to do with lack of current or a defective actuator. My problem is with the motor controller. I cant connect it to the psu (with or without the actuator) without the psu shorting.
(2020-08-29, 12:46 AM)klova9 Wrote:
(2020-08-28, 04:41 PM)SYWindveer Wrote: Try connecting a pair of LED's with 10K series resistor to the motor output. ( without the actuator)

As in this pic :

My problem isn't anything to do with lack of current or a defective actuator. My problem is with the motor controller. I cant connect it to the psu (with or without the actuator) without the psu shorting.
If you bought the controller then contact Sean.
The controller is protected against reverse polarity and with a fuse.
I assume that if there is a hard short the fuse would blow.

If you have a multimeter, check for a short over the supply terminals, check the motor terminals too.
Low resistance is not good.

You don't say what power supply you are using, some are protected against overcurrent and will shut down.
Did you check the actuator directly on the power supply  does it move ?
I test all of the motor controllers, but if you have a problem I will replace it.

Could you post a picture? Could you try with a 12 volt battery instead? Maybe your PSU is current limited, although the controller only draws 15 milliamps if you only apply 12 volt power and no other connections.
(2020-08-29, 09:10 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I test all of the motor controllers, but if you have a problem I will replace it.

Could you post a picture?  Could you try with a 12 volt battery instead?  Maybe your PSU is current limited, although the controller only draws 15 milliamps if you only apply 12 volt power and no other connections.

https://imgur.com/a/kYN1mDw.
Ive connected it to a 12v battery and the MC fuse blew. I have two MC's, and both short when connected to the psu.
I'm not sure what could cause this besides maybe applying too high of a voltage. I send you a PM, I will replace the motor controller.
The cause seems to be a PSU which supplied too high of a voltage. It may have been only for a brief period, but too long for the TVS diode which only protects static electricity. It is best to only use a battery to power the motor controller.

I have replaced the controller and refunded return shipping as well. I am able to repair the controllers damaged by replacing the tvs diode.