This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From-scratch build for wheel steering (hardware)
i have two 3d printers 300x300 mm and a good stock of petg if you need me to print something just message me ..
start by printing the largest htd5m toothed pulley you can that will mount on a wheel. with 300x300mm you should be able to print at least a 140 tooth pulley in a single piece.

Also a smaller one for the motor around 20-30 tooth, or just buy a metal one they are cheap enough at this size. i have stl and scad files if you want.
Hummm. For engaging/disengaging, and if you are using geared pulleys, You could make the wheel pulley in two concentric parts, the geared part on the outside and a fitting smooth part inside it. Then slot the inner part so that you can put a screw handle that will expand or contract it, so when expanded it would lock to the outer gear pulley.

Hard to describe in words, but I don't think it would be that complex to make.
please try this and lets hear more about it. What are you using to design the 3d parts? I use openscad.
Hi,
About a year ago I installed Pypilot hardware on my sailboat - a Roberts 36B Ketch. It has wheel steering with cables to a quadrant. I entertained using some sort of linear actuator on the quadrant but went for an electric motor on the wheel pedestal. Initially I looked for a wiper motor but a guy at a car dismantler suggested a power steering motor  - in my case from a Nissan Cube. Many more modern vehicles have electric steering assist rather than hydraulic and are available for 12 volt supply. This motor is beautifully engineered and has amazing torque - easily able to steer the boat using a toothed urethane belt and about a 10 to 1 reduction using toothed alloy sprockets. The belt and sprockets are such that you can override the drive from the motor if you (briefly) want to counter the AP. The motor is set up on a slide with a lever to lock it into or out of drive mode - accessible right at the wheel so you can manually steer to a course, lock the Pypilot in on that course and engage the AP drive.

I circumnavigated the South Island of New Zealand last southern hemisphere summer using this arrangement - very successfully. Super low power usage so no worries powering it from solar panels. So successful that it completely displaced my windvane self-steering into second place - even when more or less hove-to in 40 knot+ conditions in Cook Strait.

I cannot speak too highly of Pypilot and the installation I have and can supply a video of it in action if required - and can somehow get a 50mb video to load.

The only issue I now have is getting the Pypilot plug-in to work with OpenCPN 5.2 - but I'll address that elsewhere on this forum.

Cheers
Ted
Hello,
Take a look at https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2764 (on the first page, the reply 3!)
Cordialy
(2020-08-29, 04:37 AM)Ted Coats Wrote: Hi,
About a year ago I installed Pypilot hardware on my sailboat - a Roberts 36B Ketch. It has wheel steering with cables to a quadrant. I entertained using some sort of linear actuator on the quadrant but went for an electric motor on the wheel pedestal. Initially I looked for a wiper motor but a guy at a car dismantler suggested a power steering motor  - in my case from a Nissan Cube. Many more modern vehicles have electric steering assist rather than hydraulic and are available for 12 volt supply. This motor is beautifully engineered and has amazing torque - easily able to steer the boat using a toothed urethane belt and about a 10 to 1 reduction using toothed alloy sprockets. The belt and sprockets are such that you can override the drive from the motor if you (briefly) want to counter the AP. The motor is set up on a slide with a lever to lock it into or out of drive mode - accessible right at the wheel so you can manually steer to a course, lock the Pypilot in on that course and engage the AP drive.

I circumnavigated the South Island of New Zealand last southern hemisphere summer using this arrangement - very successfully. Super low power usage so no worries powering it from solar panels. So successful that it completely displaced my windvane self-steering into second place - even when more or less hove-to in 40 knot+ conditions in Cook Strait.

I cannot speak too highly of Pypilot and the installation I have and can supply a video of it in action if required - and can somehow get a 50mb video to load.

The only issue I now have is getting the Pypilot plug-in to work with OpenCPN 5.2 - but I'll address that elsewhere on this forum.

Cheers
Ted

I haven't heard of a power steering motor until now, but this sounds like a big upgrade from the wiper motor.

Would be great to see the video or even pictures.
(2020-08-29, 09:20 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2020-08-29, 04:37 AM)Ted Coats Wrote: Hi,

Cheers
Ted

I haven't heard of a power steering motor until now, but this sounds like a big upgrade from the wiper motor.

Would be great to see the video or even pictures.

I've tried uploading a short MP4 video without success Sean. I'll take a few detailed photos and post them later today..
T
maybe you can upload the video to youtube or vimeo or somewhere, not the forum?
(2020-08-29, 09:25 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: maybe you can upload the video to youtube or vimeo or somewhere, not the forum?

Try this:
https://youtu.be/phw3aQpLvbU