This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCD GRAPHIC 84X48 NOKIA 5110
Is this the screen that is suggested for use when building a tinypilot? I seem to remember Sean saying he is using a better screen now? Does anyone know which one?

(2020-10-12, 11:41 PM)rastam4n Wrote: Is this the screen that is suggested for use when building a tinypilot? I seem to remember Sean saying he is using a better screen now? Does anyone know which one?

I bought these and they have worked ok so far.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000067691795.html

I have read things saying that the quality of these displays is generally not great.  A display I bought from another seller had some black smudges along one edge, and I did have the display flicker one day while sailing, but that could have been a wiring problem (at that time I didn't have a PCB, everything was hotwired).
(2020-10-13, 12:04 AM)CapnKernel Wrote:
(2020-10-12, 11:41 PM)rastam4n Wrote: Is this the screen that is suggested for use when building a tinypilot? I seem to remember Sean saying he is using a better screen now? Does anyone know which one?

I have read things saying that the quality of these displays is generally not great.  A display I bought from another seller had some black smudges along one edge, and I did have the display flicker one day while sailing, but that could have been a wiring problem (at that time I didn't have a PCB, everything was hotwired).
I had a number of 5110 display failing due to moisture and vibrations.
Sean suggested a jlx12864 , a 128x64 LCD
I have one in my parts bin with an ST7720 controller, I cannot get it to work though.
Not sure where/how to configure the display in Tinypilot, maybe need the new hat with eeprom.
the hat program reads from the hat eeprom to see which display is on the board. Most of these displays have no data output so you can not read from them to probe them in any way.

The other option is to run the hat.py script and pass the screen like "hat.py jlx12864" or hack the code also to force it if you don't have an eeprom. Otherwise it defaults to nokia because all the original tinypilot had nokia display with no eeprom.
(2020-10-13, 09:39 AM)SYWindveer Wrote:
(2020-10-13, 12:04 AM)CapnKernel Wrote:

I had a number of 5110 display failing due to moisture and vibrations.
Sean suggested a jlx12864 , a 128x64 LCD

I have been wondering what part that is.  There's a part number "JLX12864G-086":

https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/blob/...x.cpp#L774

I think it could be this one:

http://www.jlxlcd.cn/html/zh-detail-227.html

I'm a bit confused though, as that page says "UC1701X", whereas in another place it says ST7789:

https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/blob/...p32.py#L18
The display has one part number and the controller another.

I'm going to make it easier to use this display soon with a config file that gets updated from eeprom. This is because sometimes eeprom fails to read at boot especially with bad connector so this would help.
(2020-10-13, 09:40 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the hat program reads from the hat eeprom to see which display is on the board.   Most of these displays have no data output so you can not read from them to probe them in any way.

The other option is to run the hat.py script and pass the screen like "hat.py jlx12864"  or hack the code also to force it if you don't have an eeprom.   Otherwise it defaults to nokia because all the original tinypilot had nokia display with no eeprom.

I was building a tinypilot based on capt kernels schematics you suggested would work in another thread   I purchased the Nokia display but the pinouts do not match the schematics.  I interpreted the best I could to match the schematic but the screen does not work.  Have you seen this before? Any suggestions?

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah the pinout on yours looks different to mine. What happens if you connect it according to the names?
Nothing. I wonder if it’s just defective. I have another and I’ve done some reading. I will try again in the morning.
If you put 3.3V across Vcc and GND you might see a momentary flash of pixels, or at least, see the pixel array very faintly.  Anything?

You could also try putting 3.3V across pins 6 and 8.  Maybe it's wired the same as mine, but mislabelled.  You've got nothing to lose, it's effectively broken  Sad