This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Sensors
Looks great, Sean.
Nice how long to print.. What did you print with?
How is the balance?
What is the little display?
I got every thing setup... waiting for pcb
rp3i+Motor control+wind sensor .3>.4 amps with display on .8 amps
ping between wind sensor <--->WIFi router<---> RPI
35 packets transmitted, 35 received, 0% packet loss, time 34053ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 2.536/27.316/80.396/17.257 ms
I have to do a check with out router.
Pypilot sees wind and works nice...
I would like to add a rudder sense and limit switches.
How long to print really depends. I got it down to 5 minutes for each cup (20 minutes for all 3 cups and hub) but the quality is poor.

For nice print, it takes 3-4 hours to print all the parts, but this is with my printer too, and PLA plastic is great for testing but eventually I will print ins PETG, ABS, or ASA.

The screen is the same nokia5110... it runs on the uC and displays all the data which is also send over usb as nmea0183.

A basic rudder position sensor uses a stainless threaded rod that attaches to a ball socket on both ends (although maybe a magnetic hinge could work) one end on rudder, the other to an arm connected to potentiometer so that it turns with the rudder. I have considered other arrangements, but there are trade offs (like wind sensors) so I'm going back to the simple proven method.
A Picture would help me understanding the Rudder sensor.. I was thinking of using a very small ip67 pot and attaching it to the pintle and to the boat.. But i really have not thought this out yet..

I also need to read more as i need a remote and would like the marine pilot to move the arm to the midpoint when powered up.
I have enough room on the pilot for a small display as i cut the old circuit out
For example I steer approximate course. turn autopilot on it moves arm to midpoint so i can attach it to the tiller.. then a button to engage.
Where is there a list of commands for the Autopilot...
Hey Sean could you send me a picture of the inside of your Marine Pilot I think some stuff is missing or broke off inside found a few bits of plastic inside when i took it apart.
I had a look at a rudder sensor I think I understand now.
(2019-01-11, 03:38 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: How long to print really depends.   I got it down to 5 minutes for each cup (20 minutes for all 3 cups and hub) but the quality is poor.

For nice print, it takes 3-4 hours to print all the parts, but this is with my printer too, and PLA plastic is great for testing but eventually I will print ins PETG, ABS, or ASA.

The screen is the same nokia5110... it runs on the uC and displays all the data which is also send over usb as nmea0183.

A basic rudder position sensor uses a stainless threaded rod that attaches to a ball socket on both ends (although maybe a magnetic hinge could work)  one end on rudder, the other to an arm connected to potentiometer so that it turns with the rudder.  I have considered other arrangements, but there are trade offs (like wind sensors) so I'm going back to the simple proven method.

Hi Sean
Have you moved this forward? I wonder if there may be a parts kit available or if you are considering selling a completed unit? I have the "wind sensors with display" already, I have not decided to pull the trigger on Davis sensors as they are too expensive.
Maybe you have a DIY option I could explore?
Cheers 
Peter
it's almost ready

I have completely redesigned it again
came across https://gitlab.com/norbertwalter67/Windsensor_WiFi_1000
has anyone followed this route or even build one?
looks like Norbert Walter "dev" used it with op, link inside your link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nfqlGNmgYI
here is more from him .
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2jOz-8...6ug/videos
i might give it a try later,i am working on a flexy hand 2 with the 3d printer now. for a friend to use for holding his fishing pole with.
(2020-11-16, 11:09 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: came across https://gitlab.com/norbertwalter67/Windsensor_WiFi_1000
has anyone followed this route or even build one?

Yes, I have been running this windsensor sucessfully in OP for the past 2 seasons.
Norbert Walter is one of the members of the open-boat-projects initiative
see https://open-boat-projects.org
So I printed all the parts, of the Norbert design and I have all the parts or will soon, but I don't know how to get the circuit board printed... produced? Can someone help me with this?