This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
LCD Display
Hi,

tried to use an other LCD display this day but I was unsuccessful.

Use a jlx12864 with spi like the Nokia 5110.
Try to bring it up to work with a raspberry pi zero with tinypilot image from 27.10.2020
Nokia 5110 works, the other not.

There is a (eep)rom on the controller pcb. Do I have to connect some of the pins from this with the tynipilot?
The technical description from the factory is very poor. 

Is there something I have to change in the config-files of tinypilot or in the programs itselfs running on the pi zero(where?)
The connections are labeled a little bit different compared to the Nokia display but this is not the problem.

Best regards

Andreas
Hi,

got it. After replacing "nokia5110" with "jlx12864" in the hat.config file (and trying to replace nokia5110 with jlx12864 in the lcddriver file witch was again Nokia 5110 after reboot) I´ve now the jlx12864 display with the tinypilot at the Pi Zero alive and working. Smile

Best regards

Andreas
Photos?
Hi,

two pics from my testsetup with pcb version 1.
From left to right: Display, pcb with Raspberry Pi Zero, Arduino, I2C-Bridge. In the middle IMU with own housing.

The pcb Version 2 there´s the Pi mounted face down without cables in a socket

Now I make the final Version 3 with an optional I2C-Extender cause the I2C Bus is not for distance longer then 50 cm. With luck (and a good network cable) you get 2 meters. I´m a friend of setting the IMU in his own housing.

After that I make a small pcb with the I2C extender partner for the IMU and then I try to build the Input and Display pannel.
For the inputs I work with capazitive touch sensors witch works through the housing. So I can realize a watertight housing.

The pcbs are custom made.
The Pi and the Arduino are connected via the tx/rx lines and not separated through optocouplers, but this is not a big problem.
The backlight from display is powered by 3,3V and is dimmed down with a 2,5k resistor. This is ok for night viewing and not to bright.

Regards

Andreas

Attached Files Image(s)

Love it!
I agree and have done the same thing, my imu is in its own housing connected via a USB cable just under 1m away. I do not have any issues with this length... it is dangerous though as someone could plug the imu directly into a standard USB port... that would be bad. But I know better so it will not likely happen. I do have some 4 pin barrel connectors coming so that should solve it.

Did you design and have the board manufactured which you mounted the ardiuno and RPI to? I would love to learn to do this one day.

Looks great!

Oh and where did you find that screen? I have been looking around and have not been able to find an exact match
Hi,
the display is from here. Searching for LCD jlx12864 SPI. Look that the lcd has a spi interface.

PCB:
I use the program kicad. You design your circuit first, then assign "footprints" (you say witch component you use) to the components and then design the pcb from that.

At the end you get "gerber"files witch are necessary for a factory to build the pcb.

I let them make from a factory in HongKong, I load the gerber files to their server and then they make it.

I build an electronic heading compass for getting radar overlay a few month ago with an arduino and an electronic compass modul witch was via I2C connected to the Arduino. There I had troubles when the length from the connection was longer then round about 1,2m.
Due to that experience I decided now to add an I2C Extender to my circuit but it´s optional so if it´s not needed then it´s possible to set two bridges on the pcb without the extender. 

Best regards

Andreas
(2020-11-18, 07:42 AM)Andreas29 Wrote: Hi,
the display is from here.

Thanks Andreas, I'll get some.

(2020-11-18, 07:42 AM)Andreas29 Wrote: I use the program kicad. You design your circuit first, then assign "footprints" (you say witch component you use) to the components and then design the pcb from that.

I also use KiCad, as does @seandepagnier.
(2020-11-18, 02:09 PM)CapnKernel Wrote:
(2020-11-18, 07:42 AM)Andreas29 Wrote: Hi,
the display is from here.

Thanks Andreas, I'll get some.

(2020-11-18, 07:42 AM)Andreas29 Wrote: I use the program kicad. You design your circuit first, then assign "footprints" (you say witch component you use) to the components and then design the pcb from that.

I also use KiCad, as does @seandepagnier.

Thanks for testing Andreas, still waiting for my display to arrive
(2020-11-18, 12:05 AM)rastam4n Wrote: my imu is in its own housing connected via a USB cable just under 1m away.

Asking this question again because I can't believe what I heard last time.

Can the IMU be mounted in any orientation?  I think it would be ok for the gyros and accelerometers, but what about the magnetic compass?

I believe the best position for the IMU board is mounted flat, ideally with the PCB silkscreen's arrow pointing forwards.  As an alternative, is it ok if the plane of the board is mounted in line with the direction of the boat?
mine is flat but upside down, works fine