This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vnh5019 output voltage Issue
Hi,

I am done with my Pypilot prototype. I am very close to the goal, but facing a strange issue.

When i send an order to move the actuator tilnypilot/Arduino Nano are sending the command properly until the vnh5019.

On the vnh5019 when i want to go left or right i see the red or green led lighting. I checked, the input voltage : 12 v but when i checked the outpout A and outpout B the current sens change properly, but... the Output voltage is only 2V so the actuator is not moving, of course !

The acutator is working properly when i plug it on the 12V

In the mortor.ino i just uncommented the folwing lines :
Code:
#define VNH2SP30 // defined if this board is used
#define DISABLE_TEMP_SENSE    // if no temp sensors avoid errors
#define DISABLE_VOLTAGE_SENSE // if no voltage sense
#define DISABLE_RUDDER_SENSE  // if no rudder sense

I think it dosent come from the vnh5019 because, i bought two and i have exactly the same issue with the both.

What am i doing wrong ?
Are the INA/INB/PWM signals clean and solid 5V (when on)? (Do you have a scope?)

You could take the VNH5019 out of circuit and just test it on your bench. 12V to VIN, VCC and PWM to 5V, then INA or INB to 5V. You should see 12V across OUTA and OUTB.
I bought 3 and all 3 were defective in all different ways.. So I basically stopped using this part. Maybe it will work if you reduce pwm frequency but it will then make audible noise.
Thanks CapnKerln and Sean for your answers !

I have checked on my circuit :
VDD : 5V
INA/INB signals are 5 V
PWM signal is 0.5 V ?

Power side :
GND / VIN : 12V
OUT A / OUT B : 2V

You'r right ! I have tested out of the circuit. So when i send 5 V to the PMW then the VNH5019  is working properly and the actuator is moving !

I guess i did not set or touch the pmw settings?

Sean, you said "Maybe it will work if you reduce pwm frequency but it will then make audible noise"
Where can i set the pmw frequency ? in motor ino or on the configuration menu ?

(2021-01-03, 11:52 AM)ironman Wrote:
(2021-01-02, 10:56 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I bought 3 and all 3 were defective in all different ways..  So I basically stopped using this part.   Maybe it will work if you reduce pwm frequency but it will then make audible noise.

I think you run into the same problem I describe in these posts. Solution is to go back to an earlier version of motor.ino. I have been using that version and the pwm_style == 2 for the last year. I have also tried to fix the 'audible noise' (is there any other ;-) ) but to no avail, and I've come to love the sound instead.

Actualy, i saw this post, but i am not confortable in reading the code. I don't understant exacly what have been change.
In an other hand, i'd like to use Sean code main branch, to be able to get improuvements in case of evolutions.
Anyway i'll try to see if the problem is the settled with previous code version.

I kept "pwm_style == 2" in moto.ino because in the comment it's said : "2 = vnh2sp30"
(2021-01-02, 10:56 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I bought 3 and all 3 were defective in all different ways..  So I basically stopped using this part.   Maybe it will work if you reduce pwm frequency but it will then make audible noise.

Did you try VNH2SP30 modules, or  VNH5019?

I bought 3 VNH2SP30, two from China sellers, and one from a reputable hobbyist place here in Australia.  All three were faulty - they either didn't work, or only worked in one direction.  (The Australian sourced one looked exactly the same as the China ones, so I think they were just reselling).

I have bought 16 VNH5019 modules (single channel version) in three orders from this company:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000046778315.html

I've tested eight VNH5019 (some from all three orders) and all have worked fine.

I suspect most of the VNH2SP30 from China are faulty.  Three scenarios:

1. They are "pulls".  They may have been recycled from old cars, as these were intended as power window drivers.  

2. They failed ST's QC, and were sold off as working in only one direction, but these have been returned to the market by unscrupulous sellers as grade A.

3. They were part of an unofficial run at the plant ST had their chips made at, and these were sold out the back door.
I lived in Shenzhen for three years, and I saw a lot of dodgy things like this.  Her's a good discussion:

https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

Mention of VNH2SP30 in the PyPilot code stands as a tacit approval of this device, but anyone who tries the VNH2SP30 is almost certainly on the road to failure.  This doesn't seem a good idea.

What if we replaced VNH2SP30 in the code with VNH5019?
(2021-01-03, 01:58 PM)topodom Wrote: Actualy, i saw this post, but i am not confortable in reading the code. I don't understant exacly what have been change. 
In an other hand, i'd like to use Sean code main branch, to be able to get improuvements in case of evolutions.
Anyway i'll try to see if the problem is the settled with previous code version.

Aaah... At this point I'm not sure if I misunderstood your problem or not! I'd like to use the main branch as well so if you are successful with it, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks for the updates - have fun building your pypilot.

(after rereading carefully) If your pwm signal coming out of D9 measures 0.5V only, you can assume the duty cycle of the signal is less than 100%, and my hunch was not wrong after all. So I'd suggest to click this link, which points to the 22-APR-2020 version, to copy the motor.ino code from there into the arduino IDE, to make your adjustments, and to burn it.
Latest tests :

22-APR-2020 moto.ino version
The actuator is working, but it is very slow.

PMW is 2.29 V
the OUT A / OUT B  is 5.39

Then i have changed the servo.speed.max to 100% in the configuration menu, then it's working properly.

PMW is 4.6 V
the OUT A / OUT B  is 11.27 V

30-DEC-2020 moto.ino version
Even if i set servo.speed.max to 100% i have low voltages, so the actuator is not working.
In this case my option is to connect the PMW pin of the vnh5019 directly to the 5V pin. I don't know if it's a clean option ? but it's working on my desk Smile

So, now i think it's clear that it's not comming from the vnh5019, but from motor.ino code.

@ CapnKernel : wichh code version are you using ?

@ ironman : Tks for the idea, the issue it's clerarer now. But i am not able  to undestant the code differences.

@ Sean : i agrre with CapnKernel, an update with  replacement of VNH2SP30 in the code with VNH5019. But maybe it's not relevant if the code is not compatible anymore or have to be updated.
(2021-01-03, 05:18 PM)topodom Wrote: @ ironman : Tks for the idea, the issue it's clerarer now. But i am not able  to undestant the code differences.

Check again; I had updated the link earlier. Originally, it inadvertently pointed to changes. Now, it points to the full version.
(2021-01-03, 06:39 PM)ironman Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 05:18 PM)topodom Wrote: @ ironman : Tks for the idea, the issue it's clerarer now. But i am not able  to undestant the code differences.

Check again; I had updated the link earlier. Originally, it inadvertently pointed to changes. Now, it points to the full version.

I have tested this version : https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/tree/...uino/motor
So i think i am OK.
(2021-01-03, 05:18 PM)topodom Wrote: So, now i think it's clear that it's not coming from the vnh5019, but from motor.ino code.

Yeah, I think it's a software problem.

(2021-01-03, 05:18 PM)topodom Wrote: @ CapnKernel : wichh code version are you using ?

The release done in Dec-19.  I'll upgrade when I have some new hardware to play with, although I'm a bit concerned about ironman's report of the PWM duty cycle being too small in newer versions:

https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....8#pid17558

@ Sean : i agrre with CapnKernel, an update with  replacement of VNH2SP30 in the code with VNH5019. But maybe it's not relevant if the code is not compatible anymore or have to be updated.

I was just suggesting that Sean runs a search and replace in the code from VNH2SP30 to VNH5019 because the VNH2SP30 is obsolete and most of the parts out there are faulty.  Keeping it as VNH2SP30 just leads people to failure.