This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NASA Wind sensor
Hello guys,

I have an issue getting data from the NASA Wind sensor.
I have Openplotter V2 installed on RPI 3b+ and GPS, compass and BMP 280 sensor is working fine.

I use an Actisense USG2 USB Adapter which has one NMEA0183 input and one NMEA0183 Output. On the input I have connected the NASA Wind sensor and the output is connected to the VHF Radio to send position data to the VHF.
In the serial devices I can see the Actisense USB adapter under ttyUSB1 and I assigned  the alias wndvhf to it and set the baud rate to 4800. I made a signal K connection.

I can't get the NME data from the NASA wind sensor into signal K. On the Adapter I can see the data flow from the sensor because the input LED is blinking. The output is working fine, the VHF get's the position data.

The input works fine on the OP version 1.2 alpha so I assume that there is no hardware problem. I configured the connection with Kplex. I tryed

How must I configure the adapter in OP V2 to get the data from the input? I tried to configure it in Kplex like in the 1.2 alpha version but it also doesn't work.

Attached Files Image(s)

What age is the nasa wind sensor? I have an old one which sends the wrong NMEA checksum, maybe as a signalk input try turning off validate checksum and turn on append checksum?
(2021-02-15, 12:57 PM)PaddyB Wrote: What age is the nasa wind sensor? I have an old one which sends the wrong NMEA checksum, maybe as a signalk input try turning off validate checksum and turn on append checksum?

I is a Clipper Wind System V2 with NMEA0183 output. 
https://www.nasamarine.com/product/clipper-wind-system/

I will try what you suggested ass soon I go to my boat.

As I mentioned it was working on the earlier version of OP in Kplex. However I installed it under Kplex with manual settings. Because it is an Idea to go away from Kplex I would like  to make it work under signal k.
Hello,

I made the changes like suggested but there still no data incomming from the adapter.

I tryed to make it with kplex. The configuration is as follows:
[tcp]
name=kplexin
direction=in
optional=yes
mode=client
persist=yes
retry=10
address=10.10.10.1
port=10110

[udp]
name=kplexout
direction=out
optional=yes
address=10.10.10.1
port=10110

###end of OpenPlotter GUI settings

###Manual settings
[serial]
name=wndvhf
direction=both
optional=yes
filename=/dev/ttyOP_wndvhf
baud=4800
ifilter=+**MWV:-all
ofilter=+**GLL:+**GCA:+**RMC:+**GNS:-all
strict=no

This seems to work, but I think that the Kplex is slowing down the system and the Opencpn doesnt respond in real time any more. I cant see the wind direction and speed until I open the diagnostic window in Kplex. Then the apparent wind direction and speed apear on dashboard. Opencpn also becomes slowly. This could be because of the Raspberry 3b+ has limited resources.

The MWV sentence I get from the sensor:
$WIMWV,N,A*2C
$WIMWV,N,A*20
$WIMWV,276,R,0

by closer look I saw that sometimes the sentence doesnt include data, is empty.

I assume that Hardware is working. Could there be another aproach to get it work in signalk?
Hi, same Wind System 2 tool, it works fine for me, see:

https://i.imgur.com/KZwACRI.png

https://i.imgur.com/p4DaiJx.png
Hello,

I just checked the "Remove null characte" to "yes" and it is working.
Thank you wery much MAX1947.