This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS to VHF
Hello All,

Please help a struggling noob! I have been using openplotter on my respi 3 for about a year with excellent results. GPS data is provided by a GPS Puck and this works prefect.

I also have a Navman 7100 VHF which requires a GPS feed for DSC. 

So I bought a bought a usb to serial rs422 to play around and send GPS data to the VHF

I have followed the guide at the link below but still cant get out put to the radio

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...-converter

Really could do with step by step walk through if anyone has a similar set up or experienced issue like this before, am sure I have made a mistake in the setup some were.

Also wondering about the baud rate if the gps puck works at 38400 and the radio take 4800 will signal K output the gps at 4800 and is it ok if the baud rates on the devices are different.

sorry about the poor typing using my tiny bluetooth keyboard to type this up on the pi,  will try and post some screen shots of my settings later if that will help.  

Have also swapped the wires around on the rs422 from the radio in case that was an issue. 

Many Thanks for reading
(2021-04-30, 03:54 PM)Netdrum Wrote: Hello All,

Please help a struggling noob! I have been using openplotter on my respi 3 for about a year with excellent results. GPS data is provided by a GPS Puck and this works prefect.

I also have a Navman 7100 VHF which requires a GPS feed for DSC. 

So I bought a bought a usb to serial rs422 to play around and send GPS data to the VHF

I have followed the guide at the link below but still cant get out put to the radio

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...-converter

Really could do with step by step walk through if anyone has a similar set up or experienced issue like this before, am sure I have made a mistake in the setup some were.

Also wondering about the baud rate if the gps puck works at 38400 and the radio take 4800 will signal K output the gps at 4800 and is it ok if the baud rates on the devices are different.

sorry about the poor typing using my tiny bluetooth keyboard to type this up on the pi,  will try and post some screen shots of my settings later if that will help.  

Have also swapped the wires around on the rs422 from the radio in case that was an issue. 

Many Thanks for reading

if your VHF radio baud rate is 4800, the RS422 device should be set to 4800 - I found auto didn't work well for me - type in what ever the radio wants

as for wiring - when you say you swapped the wires - did you swap TX for RX?  TX out of the RS422 should connect to the RX on the VHF and vice versa, but you may want to try to reverse the polarity.  watch the lights on the device for trafic and you could type in at the terminal "cat /dev/ttyOP_XXXX" where XXXX is the alias you used for the serial connection

also - you could play with the "Checksum settings" on the radio and try to match them in signal K: 

In Signal K you also want to go into "signal k to NMEA0183" settings in server>plugin config and select what to send out - maybe start with 'RMC'
We just had a very similar discussion here earlier this week. Hope it helps. https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3401
(2021-05-01, 03:09 AM)SCarns Wrote: We just had a very similar discussion here earlier this week. Hope it helps. https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3401

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the helpful advice, I am still struggling and the number of factors that could be preventing this connection is head wrecking.

I have reversed the polarity of the wires from the GPS, I have turned off and on the checksum on the radio.

I have followed the thread which SCarns posted above, and installed the NMEA to NMEA pluggin and set that up and I think I have the input and output events labelled correctly.  However on the SK dashboard I can see the GPS Puck with 100% but my Serial Port (VHFOut) shows zero activity.

It would be useful to know if the actual data was being directed and output to the USB to Serial connection as at that point I could look at issues with the radio and the connection. BTW I wrongly said my USB to serial device was an RS422 it is in fact an RS485 which I am using to output the data, if this any difference.

Here is a description of the set up so far:

In Serial 2.2.1 - set up Rs485 to USB In device tab and named it "vhfout"
In the connections tab added it to SK set baud rate to 4800 - colour is green

In SK for the device vhfout

Data type NMEA0183
Output Events - vhf
Sentence Event -nmea0183out
Validate Checksum - Yes
Ignored Sentences - RMB, APB

In SK for the Device GPS Puck
Baud Rate 38400
Output Events - vhf
Sentence Event - left bank
Validate Checksum - Yes

In OpenCPN 5.0.0 - Options - Connections
3 enabled Data Connections

1- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 10110
Priority 1
Control Check Sum - selected
Receive Input on this port - selected
Output on this port - not selected

2- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 3000
Comment - Signal K
Priority 1

3- Network - UDP
Localhost
Data Port 10119
Comment - OpencpnOUT
Priority 1
Control Check Sum - selected
Receive Input on this port - not selected
Output on this port -  selected 
Input Filtering-  Accept only Sentences - selected
Out Filtering - Transmit Sentences -RMB,APB

Back in Signal K - connections

OpencpnOUT
NMEA0183
NMEA 0183 Source - UDP
Port 10119
Sentence Event N- nmea0183out
Validate Checksum - yes
Ignore Sentences RMB, APB

In SK plug-ins - Forward and Fliter NMEA0183 input to NMEA0183 out

Input Event - NMEA0183out
Output Event - vhf

On pressing submit I am getting and error message - which says - Status: Failed to start: can not have same input and out put: vhf

If any of this make sense or you can see my error can you let me know, happy to delete and remove everything and start again if needed.

Thank You
What do you have checked in the Signalk to Nmea0183 plug-in? And is it enabled?
(2021-05-01, 07:53 PM)Netdrum Wrote: Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the helpful advice, I am still struggling and the number of factors that could be preventing this connection is head wrecking.

I have reversed the polarity of the wires from the GPS, I have turned off and on the checksum on the radio.

I have followed the thread which SCarns posted above, and installed the NMEA to NMEA pluggin and set that up and I think I have the input and output events labelled correctly.  However on the SK dashboard I can see the GPS Puck with 100% but my Serial Port (VHFOut) shows zero activity.

It would be useful to know if the actual data was being directed and output to the USB to Serial connection as at that point I could look at issues with the radio and the connection. BTW I wrongly said my USB to serial device was an RS422 it is in fact an RS485 which I am using to output the data, if this any difference.

Data type NMEA0183
Output Events - vhf
Validate Checksum - Yes

Baud Rate 38400
Output Events - vhf
Validate Checksum - Yes

1- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 10110
Priority 1

2- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 3000
Comment - Signal K
Priority 1

3- Network - UDP
Localhost
Data Port 10119
Comment - OpencpnOUT
Priority 1

OpencpnOUT
NMEA0183
NMEA 0183 Source - UDP
Port 10119
Validate Checksum - yes

Output Event - vhf

On pressing submit I am getting and error message - which says - Status: Failed to start: can not have same input and out put: vhf

If any of this make sense or you can see my error can you let me know, happy to delete and remove everything and start again if needed.

Thank You

In SK for the device/connection vhfout:

Data type NMEA0183
Output Events - vhf
Sentence Event -leave blank for now
Validate Checksum - Yes
Ignored Sentences - blank

Baud Rate 38400
Output Events - nmea0183out
Validate Checksum - Yes
Ignored Sentences - blank

In nmea0183 to nmea0183 plugin in SK, start with just one connection and use these settings:
Input event (internal)*
   nmea0183out
Output event (internal)*
   vhf
(looks like you have this correct already)
check GGA, GLL, GNS, RMC (or whatever your radio requires per it's manual).

Forget about everything else for now. Restart SignalK and verify you are getting GPS data to the VHF at this point. What this is suppose to do is this: every time the puck updates the nmea0183out data stream, an "event" is created. This event triggers the nmea0183-to-nmea0183 plugin to create a new event called "VHF" with only the nmea0183 data you checked in the plugin settings and sends it out to the port "vhfout." This should forward the location info from the puck to the radio.

If you can get that going, the rest will fall into place. Also, you have too many connections to OpenCPN, which isn't necessarily an issue, but they are unneeded. For now start with this:

1- Network - TCP
Localhost 
Data Port 10110
Priority 1

Delete #2 and #3 for now. "Convert SignalK-to-nmea0183" needs to be installed and active for this to work with the appropriate NMEA0183 sentences checked and activated (check them all for now).

Steve
(2021-05-01, 08:41 PM)Techstyle Wrote: What do you have checked in the Signalk to Nmea0183 plug-in? And is it enabled?

(2021-05-04, 02:32 AM)SCarns Wrote:
(2021-05-01, 07:53 PM)Netdrum Wrote: Hi Guys,

Data type NMEA0183
Output Events - vhf
Validate Checksum - Yes

Baud Rate 38400
Output Events - vhf
Validate Checksum - Yes

1- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 10110
Priority 1

2- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 3000
Comment - Signal K
Priority 1

3- Network - UDP
Localhost
Data Port 10119
Comment - OpencpnOUT
Priority 1

OpencpnOUT
NMEA0183
NMEA 0183 Source - UDP
Port 10119
Validate Checksum - yes

Output Event - vhf

Thank You

In SK for the device/connection vhfout:

Data type NMEA0183
Output Events - vhf
Sentence Event -leave blank for now
Validate Checksum - Yes
Ignored Sentences - blank

Baud Rate 38400
Output Events - nmea0183out
Validate Checksum - Yes
Ignored Sentences - blank

In nmea0183 to nmea0183 plugin in SK, start with just one connection and use these settings:
Input event (internal)*
   nmea0183out
Output event (internal)*
   vhf
(looks like you have this correct already)
check GGA, GLL, GNS, RMC (or whatever your radio requires per it's manual).

Forget about everything else for now. Restart SignalK and verify you are getting GPS data to the VHF at this point. What this is suppose to do is this: every time the puck updates the nmea0183out data stream, an "event" is created. This event triggers the nmea0183-to-nmea0183 plugin to create a new event called "VHF" with only the nmea0183 data you checked in the plugin settings and sends it out to the port "vhfout." This should forward the location info from the puck to the radio.

If you can get that going, the rest will fall into place. Also, you have too many connections to OpenCPN, which isn't necessarily an issue, but they are unneeded. For now start with this:

1- Network - TCP
Localhost 
Data Port 10110
Priority 1

Delete #2 and #3 for now. "Convert SignalK-to-nmea0183" needs to be installed and active for this to work with the appropriate NMEA0183 sentences checked and activated (check them all for now).

Steve
Hi Steve

Thank you very much, this worked perfectly, as soon as I made the changes you suggested the Position data appeared on the radio. This is amazing, I just need to take some time now to understand why this works and how I can use this for other proposes. 

Many thanks to all on this thread for the help, I would never have got this working or got my open plotter project up and running without the great community on this forum.

Next will be adding AIS receive and depth data to me set up.

Many thanks

Regards

Derek
I would go back now and reconstruct you OpenCPN connection:

Below is how I have mine connected

1 and 3 were correct:

Quote:1- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 10110
Priority 1

3- Network - UDP
Localhost
Data Port 10119
Comment - OpencpnOUT
Priority 1

Do not do 2.  I add XTE to the transmit sentence, but it is buried elsewhere
In SignalK
Quote:OpencpnOUT
NMEA0183
NMEA 0183 Source - UDP
Port 10119
Validate Checksum - yes

leave sentence event blank for now and don't ignore the only sentences being sent by OpenCPN!
(2021-05-04, 10:48 PM)Techstyle Wrote: I would go back now and reconstruct you OpenCPN connection:

Below is how I have mine connected

1 and 3 were correct:

Quote:1- Network - TCP
Localhost
Data Port 10110
Priority 1

3- Network - UDP
Localhost
Data Port 10119
Comment - OpencpnOUT
Priority 1

Do not do 2.  I add XTE to the transmit sentence, but it is buried elsewhere
In SignalK
Quote:OpencpnOUT
NMEA0183
NMEA 0183 Source - UDP
Port 10119
Validate Checksum - yes

leave sentence event blank for now and don't ignore the only sentences being sent by OpenCPN!

Thanks for the advice Techstyle, very helpful. I   have made the changes you have recommended

Regards

D
You're all adding the opencpn connections for Input to opencpn correct? If we want to just direct the gps signal to VHF (one way) , can that be done directly through SK without the opencpn connections?