This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BME 280 to Signal K
Hi Again,

After my success getting GPS to my VHF Radio I have began another project adding sensors to my OpenPlotter.

I have successfully installed an MPU 9250 via PyPilot using compass only and it works very well sending data to Signal K.

I also have a BME280 for environmental data (temp Pressure Humidity) which I have set up in I2C 2.2.1 and it is detected on address 0x77 and the connection is made to signal K on port 51000.

However Signal K is not detecting any data coming from the sensor.

I have followed the instructions here

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...c_app.html

Could the module be faulty or is there anyway I can check that its working other than using Signal K.

Regards

D
Perhaps try this python script to see if the device is working ok?
https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2016/0...g%20Python.
(2021-05-14, 01:49 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Perhaps try this python script to see if the device is working ok?
https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2016/0...g%20Python.

Thanks very much for this help

Once I changed the address on the script and ran the code it came back with a reading

Chip ID     : 85
Version     : 2
Temperature :  88.06 C
Pressure :  -2769.52446286 hPa
Humidity :  0.0 %

The temp is way off but appears to be sending data

Difficultly now is trying to get signal K set up to read the data. I installed the plugin for the BME280 and have it enabled settings below

Raspberry-Pi BME280
Enabled

Sample Rate (in seconds)

SignalK Path
This is used to build the path in Signal K. It will be appended to 'environment'

environment.inside.pressure

I2C bus number

I2C address
0x77

The question I have do I need to submit a separate path for each measurement for temp and humidity

If the chip is working my set up to signal K must be wrong somewhere so any suggestions on this would be very welcome.
Well those figures being returned do look very odd.

It's been a while since I set mine up but from the I2C sensors tab the BME280 was there (one line for each P/T/H) and I then went to the connections tab and selected the BME280, Add Connection, all three streams of data were then available in Signal K.

What does your I2C Sensors tab look like? I wish I could help but have no access to my pi at the moment.
>>"I installed the plugin for the BME280 and have it enabled settings below"

You seem to be using I2C Bus 0 which I am pretty sure is wrong. Bus 1 is correct I believe (i2cdetect -y 1 shows the 0x77 address I suspect)

Although.... I am not sure that plugin is actually required.
Are you certain that you have a BME280 and not a BMP280? The zero figure for humidity when executing the python script earlier suggests that it might not have that capability.

I have a BMP and could recreate your problem exactly if I add the device as a BME (although this has worked for me in earlier versions of OP). Everything seemed to be configured but no data in SK.

I deleted the sensor in Openplotter>I2C and added it as a BMP280 on the same address 0x77, added the label environment.inside.temperature against the temperature line in the sensor display, added the connection and I see valid data in SK right away.

I have to say your readings from the python script still look awry. Here's mine:
Chip ID : 88
Version : 1
Temperature : 25.09 C
Pressure : 994.641682705 hPa
Humidity : 0.0 %

No humidity as it's a BMP280.

Good luck
Oh and you don't need the BME280 plugin in so it can be deleted.
(2021-05-20, 03:13 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Are you certain that you have a BME280 and not a BMP280? The zero figure for humidity when executing the python script earlier suggests that it might not have that capability.

I have a BMP and could recreate your problem exactly if I add the device as a BME (although this has worked for me in earlier versions of OP). Everything seemed to be configured but no data in SK.

I deleted the sensor in Openplotter>I2C and added it as a BMP280 on the same address 0x77, added the label environment.inside.temperature against the temperature line in the sensor display, added the connection and I see valid data in SK right away.

I have to say your readings from the python script still look awry. Here's mine:
Chip ID     : 88
Version     : 1
Temperature :  25.09 C
Pressure :  994.641682705 hPa
Humidity :  0.0 %

No humidity as it's a BMP280.

Good luck
Oh and you don't need the BME280 plugin in so it can be deleted.
Ok bit embarrassed about this, but your absolutely correct my sensor is a BMP 280 and not a BME, I bought it from Amazon last July and it’s been sitting there waiting until I had some to to play and set it up. So just rechecked my Amazon and it’s a BMP. Just as soon as I get a chance I will reconfigure and test and report back .

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this and replying to my post. 

I will let you know how it works will be interesting to see how the temp readings are then.

Best Regards 
D
I look forward to your good news (I hope)!
(2021-05-21, 08:23 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: I look forward to your good news  (I hope)!

Hi baltika_no_9

Thanks for the advise, I made the changes you suggested, but unfortunately signal K is still not receiving data from the BMP 280

I have run the python script again and getting the same reading even after a couple of hours the temp and pressure are reading the exact same.

I am wondering if I damaged the sensor when soldering on the header pins or perhaps it's just faulty.  I have ordered another one from amazon to see if there is any more success with that. 

I did disable the plug-in for the BME 280 to signal K also as you mentioned. I am not sure if there is anything else I am missing, but I will report back when the new sensor arrives next week.

Regards

D
Ah that is disappointing although your sensor is certainly not behaving as expected. Here is my config: