This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source Priorities
Still having trouble getting my head around prioritising - I am still getting too much info coming into Signal K from my Raymarine Chartplotter which is slowing down SK.

I have fried using the Source Priorities in Data Connections
See below pic for examples - eg "datetime" as well as "gnss.methodQuality" as well as others - 

I must be doing something wrong here because I'm still getting this as shown in Data Browser & Siknal K Diagnostic - datetime & others from can.0 & can.1 as well as gps.GP      

I have also tried to filter out any "can" info using "Siknal K Filter" but when I open up the app again there is nothing saved

What am I doing wrong please????
Look at the timestamps - the data from can sources is from jan 2nd and gps.GP jan 3rd. So to me it looks like it is working. Only gps.GP data is updating, others are latest values received when you either did not have priorities set up or gps.GP was not updating.

How is SK overwhelmed - how does it affect you?
(2022-01-03, 07:31 AM)tkurki Wrote: Look at the timestamps - the data from can sources is from jan 2nd and gps.GP jan 3rd. So to me it looks like it is working. Only gps.GP data is updating, others are latest values received when you either did not have priorities set up or gps.GP was not updating.

How is SK overwhelmed - how does it affect you?

The timestamp is from Jan 2nd 17:30 (yesterday) because that is when I turned the plotter off & left the boat so, therefore, no incoming data from can. I keep the Pi4 & Open Plotter running 24/7 so everything else updates.

I accessed OP today via VNC & took the screenshots at 11:47

When I have the chart plotter running SK slows down significantly ie SK & different dashboards etc load slowly. When I am not receiving data from "can" everything runs very nicely.

So, my aim is to have only the necessary data coming into SK from the chart plotter, can.0 & can.1, that is not coming from the GPS - not the same data from 3 sources eg "datetime" etc etc. There is a lot of data that is doubled or tripled up when I only want/need it from 1 source, preferably from the GPS.

The priorities have been set up for months & I have been putting up with it running slowly but there has to be something wrong - I am just not clever enough to work it out!!

Have I got the Priorities done correctly?? Increase the time outs maybe??

Thanks for your help
If you have some sources turned off your data browser and server log screen shots don't really help much.

The source priorities seem ok to me. Please try again. When it works you should be seeing debug lines with false, not just ones with true. As long as the higher prio source is generating data more frequently than the timeout increasing them does not make a difference.

Source priorities is not the only option for you. N2K connections have a source filter that allows you to filter

- Filter out all messages from a specific Address by entering just the Address.
- Filter out a specific PGN from all devices by entering just the PGN.
- Filter out a specific PGN from a specific Address by entering both.

What computer are you using? Do you have any plugins active? If you are have OpenCpn connected to SK try without it.

I have seen very few reports reported to performance problems even with modest hardware. I'd be interested in tracking down yours further, but I'd much prefer Slack or a Github issue for communication.
http://slack-invite.signalk.org/
https://github.com/signalk/signalk-server
(2022-01-04, 07:18 AM)tkurki Wrote: If you have some sources turned off your data browser and server log screen shots don't really help much.

The source priorities seem ok to me. Please try again. When it works you should be seeing debug lines with false, not just ones with true. As long as the higher prio source is generating data more frequently than the timeout increasing them does not make a difference.

Source priorities is not the only option for you. N2K connections have a source filter that allows you to filter 

- Filter out all messages from a specific Address by entering just the Address.
- Filter out a specific PGN from all devices by entering just the PGN.
- Filter out a specific PGN from a specific Address by entering both.

What computer are you using? Do you have any plugins active? If you are have OpenCpn connected to SK try without it.

I have seen very few reports reported to performance problems even with modest hardware. I'd be interested in tracking down yours further, but I'd much prefer Slack or a Github issue for communication.
http://slack-invite.signalk.org/ 
https://github.com/signalk/signalk-server

Thanks for you reply tkurki

I'm still not seeing any debug lines with false - I'll have another go at that later.

I have tried filtering out PGNs in the N2K connections for now but need to be on the boat, to turn on the plotter, and see how this goes.

I am running a Pi4 running the plugins in the following pic & it is the same with OpenCpn running or not.

Thanks for your help, I'll see how I go with this.