This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS and SignalK
Dear All, first happy new year to all of you

I met 2 issues using signalK with my 2 GPS:
The first issue  appears with an old GPS MLR Valsat connected to RPI in USB via a RS422 to USB converter.
The device detection, alias declaration , connection definition goes well in serial and when added in signalK
In a terminal with the command cat /dev/ttyOP_valsat I see all nmea183 messages coming from the GPS. But in OpenCPN I do not see those messages in the dedicated window and OpenCPN has not the boat position and the satellite's bars. Only one connection is declared in OpenCPN: Network/enter/signalK/localhost/3000
The second issue appears with a bluetooth GPS Pretec. After pairing of this equipment, I connect it using the following command: sudo rfcomm connect 0 @mac-BT-GPS 1. In serial I see nothing in the device part and in the connection part I see this new connection but I cannot add it in signalK. this is my problem. If I declared this connection in OpenCPN, the boat position is correctly displayed.

Thanks a lot if somebody can help to solve this.
As before I have given he advice to switch automatic server search to off in OpenCPN. The default is on.

And a user must have rights to use the serial item. sudo usermod -a -G dialout (name of the user).

Bram
(2022-01-10, 12:40 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: As before I have given he advice to switch automatic server search to off in OpenCPN. The default is on.

And a user must have rights to use the serial item. sudo usermod -a -G dialout (name of the user).

Bram

No need to bother with any permissions, already set in openplotter.
(2022-01-10, 01:13 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2022-01-10, 12:40 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: As before I have given he advice to switch automatic server search to off in OpenCPN. The default is on.

Bram

No need to bother with any permissions, already set in openplotter.

Thanks for your answers. I confirm:
-the automatic server search in opencpn is off
-my user belongs to dialout group
regards
(2022-01-10, 01:51 PM)yvereg Wrote: Thanks for your answers. I confirm:
regards

Does tcp port 10.10.10.1 port 10110 work as a connection  in opencpn (Try with no other connections) ? Signalk should be sending out nmea0183 on that port.
(2022-01-10, 07:07 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
regards

Does tcp port 10.10.10.1 port 10110 work as a connection  in opencpn (Try with no other connections) ? Signalk should be sending out nmea0183 on that port.

Hello,
At the installation time of openplotter this connection is declared:
network/input/signalk/openplotter.local/3000 I do not understand the aim of this connection.
As you suggest I enter a connection declared:
network/input/tcp/openplotter.local/10110, unfortunatly no gps messages are received in opencpn.
does such command correct to display what is output of signalK?
cat </dev/tcp/10.10.10.1/10110
if the answer is yes, no messages are displayed meaning nothing is output from signalk
Regards
(2022-01-11, 10:01 AM)yvereg Wrote:
regards

Hello,
network/input/signalk/openplotter.local/3000 I do not understand the aim of this connection.
network/input/tcp/openplotter.local/10110, unfortunatly no gps messages are received in opencpn.
if the answer is yes, no messages are displayed meaning nothing is output from signalk
Regards

Use the Serial application of OpenPlotter and see if the connection appears. If the connection appears. Give this app an alias (name0.
Accept and then to connections in the same application.  Choose Signalk give the right baudrate and then the Signalk server restarts (take some time).D
Then it must work.

The working of the signaK server can be seen with the application  SignalK diagnostics.
(2022-01-11, 01:51 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
regards

Hello,
Regards

Use the Serial application of OpenPlotter and see if the connection appears. If the connection appears. Give this app an alias (name0.
Accept and then to connections in the same application.  Choose Signalk give the right baudrate and then the Signalk server restarts (take some time).D
Then it must work.

The working of the signaK server can be seen with the application  SignalK diagnostics.

Hello, many thanks for your help.
I do again every thing slowly either using only Opencpn and Opencpn+signalK then I discovered that there is problem with the checksum. After disable the checks it seems to be better. I ordered a new one GPS.
When using signalK the messages are transmitted in TCP through 10.10.10.1:10110 whereas Opencpn ask to have a default connection signalK/localhost/3000. Nothing is sent there.

Now, I will try to do the same with my bluetooth gps, how to add this connection in signalK ?

Regards
(2022-01-11, 06:58 PM)yvereg Wrote:
regards

Hello,
Regards

Then it must work.

I do again every thing slowly either using only Opencpn and Opencpn+signalK then I discovered that there is problem with the checksum. After disable the checks it seems to be better. I ordered a new one GPS.
When using signalK the messages are transmitted in TCP through 10.10.10.1:10110 whereas Opencpn ask to have a default connection signalK/localhost/3000. Nothing is sent there.

Now, I will try to do the same with my bluetooth gps, how to add this connection in signalK ?

Regards

There are two types of connection to OpenCPN serial with NMEA103 or a connection in the SignalK format. Network Signalk localhost and port 3000. Not both.

I have no experience with a bluetooth gps. But I think you must make a connection first with the Bleutooth (icon upper corner) and pair the thing with the RPI.

Bram

Then you can probably see the connection in the Serial app.
(2022-01-11, 09:00 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2022-01-11, 06:58 PM)yvereg Wrote:
(2022-01-10, 07:07 PM)PaddyB Wrote: Does tcp port 10.10.10.1 port 10110 work as a connection  in opencpn (Try with no other connections) ? Signalk should be sending out nmea0183 on that port.

Hello,
Regards

Then it must work.

Regards

There are two types of connection to OpenCPN serial with NMEA103 or a connection in the SignalK format. Network Signalk localhost and port 3000. Not both.

I have no experience with a bluetooth gps. But I think you must make a connection first with the Bleutooth (icon upper corner) and pair the thing with the RPI.

Bram

Then you can probably see the connection in the Serial app.
Thanks for your help,
In serial app I can define a connection /dev/rfcomm0 9600bds. I cannot add it in signalk. However it is possible to create this connection directly in signalK, there is no alias in the 2 cases and signalk do not manage messages coming from the gps.
the command "cat /dev/rfcomm0" shows messages received
the command "cat </dev/tcp/10.10.10.1/10110" do not show anything
If I declare the serial connection in opencpn, the position of the boat shown is correct, but I would like to also use signalk in that case.
regards