This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose the wires
Hello everyone. This might seem like a very basic (even silly) question, but after understanding the software (using just plug'n'play hardware), write some bits of code on my own, start to learn a bit of electronics (at least to understand a diagran), getting used to ESP32 with SensESP, etc... I finally want to get real and install "something" in my boat. And for that i need to connect "things", and for that i need wires  Big Grin

I would like advise on what to look when selecting wires to install stuff on the boat. I know nothing about this, so I don't even know how to ask the question. Should i be looking for?:

1) Specific diameter
2) Some "class A/class B" category or similar
3) Isolation
4) Should i connect with different kind of wires the power and the data? Let's say an I2C devices, which requires power and data connection.
5) My choices should be based on lenght? As a first test I will install a couple of DS18B20, and one of it will be very close to the ESP32, but the other one will be ~6m away.

Basically i would really appreciate some tips so I can buy the wires on a non marine-specific store (cause as you know prices are 2x-10x higher for the same product).

Thanks!
Wire size is a function of current over distance, so there is no one size fits all answer. However, the size (or gauge) of wire to use is easily calculated if you know your load. How much a device draws in current should be listed in the device specs somewhere. Blue Sea Systems has a handy app for calculating circuit sizes here: http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com. They have a handy app for your phone, too.

Be sure to use a quality tinned wire, as it meets ABYC standards that regular automotive copper wire does not. Not worth "saving the money." I work on a lot of boats and the cheap stuff doesn't hold up well in the marine environment. So while it seems like you're saving money upfront, as the wire breaks down and resistance increases, you introduce voltage drop into the circuit and that throws off your calculations. Voltage drop in a circuit is essentially electricity that spills off a wire as heat with less actual voltage reaching your device. So, while you think your device is getting 12.8 volts because that's what's in the batteries, with a 10% voltage drop, it might only be getting 11.52 volts. That difference can affect performance. Save time and money by doing it right the first time. And always remember the length of a circuit is from the source to the device AND BACK, so your 6m distance is a 12m circuit. Even with a small load, like an ESP32, you might find that will need a decent size wire.

I'd also recommend up-sizing your wire. If a circuit calculates to 18 AWG wire for a circuit with <3% voltage drop, consider using 16 AWG instead (wire gauges are backwards, at least here in the US - 18 is small, 10 is big, 2 is huge). Upsizing wire helps minimize the aforementioned future voltage drop due to age, resistance, etc., with the idea that you'll hopefully never have to replace that circuit. Having rewired many boats, I can tell you that's not a fun job.

Best of luck with it! I just installed my first ESP32 with SenseESP and a capacitive sensor on my holding tank and it has really helped our live-aboard lifestyle! I'll be adding more soon!
Thanks a lot SCarns, this was incredibly useful. This tips and tools were exactly what i was looking for Smile