This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OpenPlotter 3 roadmap
(2022-05-08, 07:11 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Now you do not need InfluxDB or any intermediate program to get real time data into Grafana from a Signal K server. Just using a websocket plugin in Grafana and some easy settings.

Thats really cool! Something i've tried to trick Grafana into doing in this and other projects. How is historical data used now? Do you still need the plugin if you want to look back?
If you need history you need to use InfluxDB, once you have your data stored in influxDB you can use InfluxDB dashboards to show your data or use grafana to read from influxDB.

I do not have time to write an InfluxDB manual but it is really intuitive, you just need to install IndluxDB from openplotter-dashboard app, after installtion go to http://localhost:8086, follow instrucctions to create a user, an organization, a bucket for your data and a token to read/write your bucket. Finally go back to openplotter-dashboard, select InfluxDB OSS, click edit and add the desired Signal K keys to store and the intervals. To check your stored data go to http://localhost:8086, click "Explore" and build your dashboards.

Tips:
Create one token to read/write all buckets.
Create different buckets with different data retention policy to save your SD space.
Be conservative with the intervals, you do not need to check the Signal k server every 5 seconds for air pressure, probably 10 minutes is OK.
I've followed the Grafana instructions, it all seems to be working except I can only see data from the previous couple of minutes. Does Grafana store the historical data anywhere, or does it just visualise what it sees from the websocket interface?

Attached Files Image(s)

(2022-05-09, 11:35 AM)Sailoog Wrote: If you need history you need to use InfluxDB, once you have your data stored in influxDB you can use InfluxDB dashboards to show your data or use grafana to read from influxDB.

I do not have time to write an InfluxDB manual but it is really intuitive, you just need to install IndluxDB from openplotter-dashboard app, after installtion go to http://localhost:8086, follow instrucctions to create a user, an organization, a bucket for your data and a token to read/write your bucket. Finally go back to openplotter-dashboard, select InfluxDB OSS, click edit and add the desired Signal K keys to store and the intervals. To check your stored data go to http://localhost:8086, click "Explore" and build your dashboards.

Tips:
Create one token to read/write all buckets.
Create different buckets with different data retention policy to save your SD space.
Be conservative with the intervals, you do not need to check the Signal k server every 5 seconds for air pressure, probably 10 minutes is OK.

Thanks Sailoog - I'm happy to help with documentation as that's how I've got my current setup. Still, live data in Grafana will be really good

@TVR - Grafaana is just a display/graphical package. You need to add a DB if you want to look at anything historical.
I think my previous post answers your questions.
(2022-05-07, 09:22 PM)Opie91 Wrote: Regarding the VNC issues. This seems to have been a problem for some time. If you plug a monitor in when you power up the PI it seems to do fine. Think I found a work around, this is from my notes:

Video Setup
Change cmdline.txt in /boot  Add the following:    video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60D

Mine looks like:
console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=9c48fee6-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60D plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

After making these changes I have had no VNC/monitor issues at all. This locks it in at 720, but that is good enough for me plus it keeps VNC snappy.

Did not work for me Sad still getting this fucking error when no monitor is connected:

Code:
(opencpn:2): Gdk-ERROR **: 18:58:29.512: The program 'opencpn' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'.
 (Details: serial 380 error_code 10 request_code 130 (MIT-SHM) minor_code 1)
 (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
  that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
  To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
  variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
  backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
(2022-05-09, 11:52 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I think my previous post answers your questions.

The only reason I asked is because your screenshots seemed to show temperature during the last 5 minutes, whereas I'm only able to display data during the last 90 seconds.

In any case, it seems to be better suited to displaying dials and gauges rather than time series graphs. If I need a graph I'll use InfluxDB.
(2022-05-09, 07:00 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2022-05-07, 09:22 PM)Opie91 Wrote: Regarding the VNC issues. This seems to have been a problem for some time. If you plug a monitor in when you power up the PI it seems to do fine. Think I found a work around, this is from my notes:

Video Setup
Change cmdline.txt in /boot  Add the following:    video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60D

Mine looks like:
console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=9c48fee6-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60D plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

After making these changes I have had no VNC/monitor issues at all. This locks it in at 720, but that is good enough for me plus it keeps VNC snappy.

Did not work for me Sad still getting this fucking error when no monitor is connected:

Code:
(opencpn:2): Gdk-ERROR **: 18:58:29.512: The program 'opencpn' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'.
 (Details: serial 380 error_code 10 request_code 130 (MIT-SHM) minor_code 1)
 (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
  that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
  To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
  variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
  backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I tried to duplicate everything you have here and I cannot get my setup to fail with the cmdline.txt changes installed.

Originally I was having a very slow VNC experience and this is how I ended up trying the change:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic...4&start=50
(2022-04-27, 08:37 AM)wellenvogel Wrote:
Quote:Tried to run it from command line with same results. Soon as I shut off the Avnav service all is well
Could you check if the problem still exists if you disable the ocharts plugin in AvNav?

Hi, I have the same issue and indeed OpenCPN FP works fine when AvNav is stopped but doesn't open when AvNav is running. I disabled the ocharts plugin in AvNav and OpenCPN FP shows up with AvNav running but it is unstable, I can't even access the options.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Best regards. Romain
My first tests:

I used OpenPlotter 3 Starting
2022-02-06-OpenPlotter-v3-alpha-64bit-img.zip
    Applied defauts initial configuration steps
    Will go for Belgian options with French keyboard
    Changed screen resolution to 1920x1080
    Changed GPU memory to 256Mb

Rebooted and had following error:
    "[     1.535413] mmc1: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)."    WHAT TO DO?

Installed Signal-K Installer 3.1.2-beta from Settings 3.2.1
    No issues
    Made a connection to setup admin account

Installed XyGrib 1.2.6-3bullseye1 from Settings 3.2.1
    No issues
    Tested without issues

Installed CAN Bus 3.2.2-beta from Settings 3.2.1
    No issues
    Installed parameters recommanded for PICAN-M NMEA2000 board installation:
        sudo nano /boot/config.txt
            dtparam=i2c_arm=on
            dtparam=spi=on
            dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=25
            dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay
        sudo /sbin/ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000
        sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
            auto can0
            iface can0 inet manual
                pre-up /sbin/ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
                up /sbin/ifconfig can0 up
                down /sbin/ifconfig can0 down

Rebooted and had following errors:
    1. Failed to load dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay
        Changed this to comment line in config.txt file     IS-IT NORMAL?
    2. During Check System: during checking CAN devices...
        There is no Signal K connection for interface: can0
        I did the MCP2515 device connection to Signal-K
        System check completed successfully

CAN Bus now working without issues and check device traffic working fine

Started Signal-K 1.42.0
    can0 correctly identified with Status "Connected" without error
    Total server Signal K throughput (deltas/second) 3.0
    Connection activity (deltas/second)
        defaults 0 (0%)
        can0 3 (100%)
    No issues

Installed OpenCPN installer 3.1.1-beta from Settings 3.2.1
    No issues
    Executed OpenCPN Installer 3.1.1
    Executed Check Versions
        Debian/Ubuntu PPA candidate: 5.6.2.2~ubuntu20.04.1 500
        Flatpak candidate: 5.6.2+b75be76 - stable
    Installation of Debian/Ubuntu PPA
    No issues
    Started OpenCPN
    Made initial parameters setup
    Installed GSHHG basemaps
    Created network connection for Signal-K protocol for localhost on port 3000
    No issues
    Executed system check without errors or warnings
    GPS working correctly on OpenCPN confirming CAN correct captures

Suspected issue: 
    Options / Plugins / Plugins catalog update: only 4 plugins visible
    Want to access o-charts plugin to download my maps.  Not available
    Extended list of plugins not available    IS-IT NORMAL?

I will continue my tests tomorrow after your feedback.
Happy to collaborate to this great work.
Raoul