This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Command line interface for V3?
Is there a command line interface for doing all the operations that all the various -setup tools do?  I tried
Code:
$ openplotter-setup --help
, but that just opened the GUI.  I also had a quick look at the sources and docs, but did not see anything that looked like a high-level API I could hook into.

Relatedly, do the various *-setup tools save their settings anywhere?  I ran openplotter-network and made a bunch of changes, but found that I had to specify them all over again in the GUI the next time I ran it.  I was hoping my previous settings would be displayed as the prefilled values when I opened the tool again.  Maybe I'm using it wrong? I'm a n00b with openplotter and operating with little documentation, so I'm not sure what to expect (and I agree I should have played with it more before raising these questions).

Basically, I'd like to be able to script openplotter-setup and all the individual openplotter tool installers so I would not need to access the plasma GUI on the RasPi at all.  All the tools already have an HTML interface with touch support that I can access from a client tablet or other device.  I understand I could use VNC to run openplotter setup on the client, but that would be landscape only, tiny font and not touch enabled.
I do not know what openplotter-setup is.

openplotter is made up of several python3 independent apps distributed as debian packages. All these apps can interact with each other and they share some scripts that live in the main app openplotter-settings. you will not find any API, that would be for a different structure and a different project. Some settings are stored in ~/.openplotter/openplotter.conf

Having said that, the idea of replacing the current python GUI by a web GUI is not bad and probably will be the goal for openplotter 4. Everything is done in python3 so the faster and easier way would be the Django framework.
(2022-05-28, 11:16 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Having said that, the idea of replacing the current python GUI by a web GUI is not bad and probably will be the goal for openplotter 4. Everything is done in python3 so the faster and easier way would be the Django framework.

That would great for something like a pi zero headless  so no need to run a desktop/vnc. Less resources when resources are limited  Cool
Yes. Currently we have an OpenPlotter Headless image but remote desktop is always involved. With a Web GUI we could make a true headless version with Raspberry OS Lite (no desktop) and without OpenCPN to feed any device running the graphical tools . I do not know if a pi zero could run AvNav.
Imho a web gui lets you save and eat the cake: you can run it in the pi’s desktop browser and on another device - and it exposes an http api to build a cli client if you want one.
i like the idea.