This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maiana to Signal K drop outs?
This is evolving and I am not sure if it is an issue.

On a couple of occasions over a few days the connection between Signal K and Maiana has dropped out - AIS targets disappear from OCPN, Data Browser shows data is old.  When I have looked at Signal K, there was no activity in the connection activity, where usually we see a 6-7.  When Signal K server was reset, the data returned to normal.  let me know if you have seen the same or have a fix?

Description of the setup
Maiana NMEA0183 version, connected to the Pi via USB and to a VHF radio via NMEA0183
Never seen this. Any error in SK log?
If I am not wrong USB connections in SK server do not have a timeout or similar.
(2022-04-13, 06:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Never seen this. Any error in SK log?
If I am not wrong USB connections in SK server do not have a timeout or similar.

I did not get a log entry but I got this picture:

I have the Maiana connected to a USB HUB back to the Pi over USB to CAT6 connection but the touch screen that is also plugged in was unaffected, so I don't think it is the USB Hub backwards.  The Maiana is connected by NMEA0183 to my VHF and that works.  here is a circuit diagram:

I would check if your VHF forwards your 34.8k AIS-Data also over it`s 4800 Port to Garmin, ST4000 and via RS422 to SignalK. If true this is to much data for the 4800 Baud - an maybe it is scrambled. 4800 is ok for Autpilot and GPS.
If true, you should setup an filter for this maybe in the VHF or in NMEAOut from SK.

Do you have another AIS in your first Hub - or is this an Errror in your Plan?

Try also to connect your Maiana direct to your first USB-Hub. USB-Cable Lenght of 3 or 4 meters should work fine.

BTW: nice Videos in Your Tube-stream. Happy Sailing
Holger

I also see sometimes an RED Error Line in SK from (AVnav-in my setup) but it is okay when the connection stays green.
(2022-06-02, 04:43 PM)holgerw Wrote: I would check if your VHF forwards your 34.8k AIS-Data also over it`s 4800 Port to Garmin, ST4000 and via RS422 to SignalK. If true this is to much data for the 4800 Baud - an maybe it is scrambled. 4800 is ok for Autpilot and GPS.
If true, you should setup an filter for this maybe in the VHF or in NMEAOut from SK.

Do you have another AIS in your first Hub - or is this an Errror in your Plan?

Try also to connect your Maiana direct to your first USB-Hub. USB-Cable Lenght of 3 or 4 meters should work fine.

BTW: nice Videos in Your Tube-stream. Happy Sailing
Holger

I also see sometimes an RED Error Line in SK from (AVnav-in my setup)  but it is okay when the connection stays green.

Thanks for the reply and comments on my Youtube channel!!

the VHF only sends DSE and DCS sentences.  The second AIS dongle is in the first hub, but the antenna is not currently connected.

the Maiana had USB drop out issues when I first posted and then last night.  I sailed for 10hrs over the weekend and had no such issues. 

I will be checking with a different Micro USB cable and seeing if I can couple the Ethernet cable from Maiana to the one from my helm to the nav station and put Maiana in there.  I will also turn on logging

thanks
Jason
I would try connecting the MAIANA USB to the Raspberry directly and wait for a fail and then gradually add more intermediaries. If you come to the conclusion that the adapter may be damaged, write me a private message if you are in EU or write to Peter if you are in the US.