This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimum OCPN/OP connections ?
Hi all
Can someone advise what is the best/optimum connections (in an OpenPlotter/SignalK configuration)
Ive been having some performance/crashing issues lately and I'm concerned that my configuration has suffered from too much tinkering under the hood.
FWIW here are my current settings:

OpenCPN Ver 5.6.2
Connections 
Network, Output, protocol=UDP, Address=localhost, port 10119, priority=1
Network, Intput, protocol=Signal K, Address=localhost, port=3000, priority=1

SignalK ver 1.43
Connections
gps - NMEA0183, serial, 4800, o/p event "" ,i/p event "gps"
ais - NMEA0183, serial,38400, o/p event "" ,i/p event "ais"
seatalk - NMEA0183,4800, o/p event "" ,i/p event "seatalk"
openCPNOut - NMEA0183, UDP, port 10119,i/p event "autopilot"

Active SK Plugins 
Forward and Filter NMEA
Node Red
Set System Time
Derived Data for True Wind

OpenPlotter Ver 2 on RPi Model 3b (16GB)

Thanks
Steve
(2022-06-28, 03:02 PM)affinite Wrote: Hi all ....

Before changing anything might be worth trying  a 32Gb SD card, I had a Pi Zero 2 occasionally crashing with a 16GB card, 32GB & it's been very well behaved since.
(2022-06-28, 03:41 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

Before changing anything might be worth trying  a 32Gb SD card, I had a Pi Zero 2 occasionally crashing with a 16GB card, 32GB & it's been very well behaved since.

Am I right in thinking that means a complete rebuild ? if I take a 16GB image and write it to a 32 card will the partition size be increased to 32GB ?
(2022-06-28, 03:47 PM)affinite Wrote:
(2022-06-28, 03:41 PM)PaddyB Wrote:

Am I right in thinking that means a complete rebuild ? if I take a 16GB image and write it to a 32 card will the partition size be increased to 32GB ?

Give it a go, think I just used the RPI SD card copier & it auto resized to 32gb.
I have gone thro hell and back again trying to get Ocpn/o plotter and pypilot to come together...literally lost weeks trying everything I could find on you tube video's the docs section etc. They all basically say different ways. and none sort of brings it all together. Also the programs have been updated and the documentation and on- line stuff is frequently no longer valid.....very very fraustrating. The end result for me using a gps usb puck antena was actually the simplest howevr to get there was horrible. For another type antenna you may have to do something different but the jist should be the same.

Basically, there are a whole bunch of protocols  and setups that can get data into the end user, however what I wanted is to  get the verification that good data gets into ocpn and into pypilot. This verification is the yellow bars that show the connections made in signal K and match your device name etc, and importantly that the bebugger in ocpn shows a continuous nmea stream. In some setups this doesl not show at all ( setup via signal k for instance) and the messages column is misleading if you dont look carefully to see that the time stamp is actually posting.  And finally the big ticket is that the little boat in ocpn goes red and the top rightbox shows Gps strength bars. .

The following is the only way I found:

Serial 2.2.3 invoke devices - shows usb port give alias and device = ttyusb0 . Device should be found automatically and shows as manu name etc.
check nmea 0183
Apply..... line goes green to confirm
Click line and add to GPSD  baud = auto

Valiidate:
pull plug and line goes red indicating it is disconnected - replug = green

Next = OpenCpn 5.6.2:

options - go to connections box :
"add connection"
device should show with your alias automatically - if not go back and check everything previous
network   input   GPSD   address ...should default to 0.0.0.0 port 2947 priority 1 
...these should load by default so leave everything as is

add user comment - this is an ID for the connection
Apply

Ocpn should now completes the process via signal k automatically

Overview:
no signal k screwabout needed - just serial and ocpn
Use GPSD option. This is a protocol/system that is used in most cell phones etc.

End Result:
red boat
gps bars
debugger shows 0183 stream
yellow bars in signal k
(2022-06-30, 11:15 PM)burgoynebc@netscape.net Wrote: I have gone thro hell and back again trying to get Ocpn/o plotter and pypilot to come together...literally lost weeks trying everything I could find on you tube video's the docs section etc. T

Something sounds very odd there - every install I've done it all just works pretty much out of the box, just add a 9dof compass for pypilot & a working gps input to signalk. If gps is working it will show nav data in the signalk data browser. No need  for gpsd.  Opencpn already has a nmea0183 connection set up on port 10110. I'll try again with a new Pi & double check but it really should be close to plug & play.
I think the frustrating thing for me is that, despite having a very simple configuration, there is apparently no published "Standard" set of connections that I can revert to in order to clean up my config.
Also, there is no easy way to migrate OP/OCPN/SK settings to a fresh installation so I have to continue to tinker with the existing setup.
(2022-07-01, 09:02 AM)affinite Wrote: I think the frustrating thing for me is that, despite having a very simple configuration, there is apparently no published "Standard" set of connections that I can revert to in order to clean up my config.
Also, there is no easy way to migrate OP/OCPN/SK settings to a fresh installation so I have to continue to tinker with the existing setup.

signalk has a backup/restore function, which is the worst of the setup.  I've found it better not to include the plugins in the backup, let signalk install them when it runs after a restore. Node red same, backup & restore, doesn't take long. 
There isn't really any "standard" which would work in the real world, every boat is different. Opencpn is set up already to read data from signalk when openplotter gets installed.
(2022-06-28, 03:02 PM)affinite Wrote: Hi all
Can someone advise what is the best/optimum connections (in an OpenPlotter/SignalK configuration)
Ive been having some performance/crashing issues lately and I'm concerned that my configuration has suffered from too much tinkering under the hood.

OpenCPN Ver 5.6.2
Connections 

SignalK ver 1.43
Connections

Active SK Plugins 
Forward and Filter NMEA
Node Red
Set System Time

Thanks
Steve

one thing I notice about you setup is that I normally filter the output from OCPN to only send the sentences added by OCPN, otherwise you can get into loops - for me that would be RMB, APB, XTE (Transmit these sentences)
(2022-07-01, 03:06 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2022-06-28, 03:02 PM)affinite Wrote: Hi all

OpenCPN Ver 5.6.2
Connections 

SignalK ver 1.43
Connections

Active SK Plugins 
Forward and Filter NMEA
Node Red
Set System Time

Thanks
Steve

one thing I notice about you setup is that I normally filter the output from OCPN to only send the sentences added by OCPN, otherwise you can get into loops - for me that would be RMB, APB, XTE (Transmit these sentences)

Yes, thanks I should have said that I do that as well.