This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a hydraulic gear pump to have a clutch
Hey all, so I have a marine mounts setup for a raymarine rotary drive. Not wanting to spend $2k, but also not having space for a clumsy mechanical belt clutch, I was wondering about doing a hydraulic gear method.
This would give me a native clutch via the pump, and setup as though it were a linear actuator.

Can anyone help sanity check this - especially wrt strength/durability, and speed of pump translating into necessary speed of wheel? For example, I own an octopus pump that pumps 1 liter /minute which equates to .0044 gallons or ~1 cubic inch per second.

This hydraulic gear pump spins (I believe) at .6 cubic inches per revolution. So I could turn the shaft at ~1.7 rps (edit: rounds per second, not minute)? Do you think that is a workable speed?

Thanks for any input 

example pump: 
https://www.magisterhyd.com/product/0-50...JwQAvD_BwE
I am not sure which shaft at 1.7rpm. If the rudder shaft, then ok. If it is the wheel, maybe not.

Normally -30 to 30 degrees of rudder takes 6-10 seconds.
Ah yes, this would be for the wheel

edit got my units wrong. 1.7 rounds per *second*

For me, I believe lock to lock is 2 revolutions of the wheel. So I'd need a slower gear pump or gear
Latest idea: a 1L/min (1 cubic inch/sec) octopus autopilot pump, a gear pump like this that rotates once per 1.42 cubic inches. Also, it's a bidirectional pump; most are unidirectional.
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pr..._200641997
...that theoretically would give me .70 rounds per second. On that gear pump, I can have a 10 tooth sprocket, with a 25 tooth on the wheel. That would give me a .28 rounds per second, or just over 7 seconds lock to lock. That's the plan! Let me know how this might fail!
This seems right. It really depends on the boat. I have rigged my boat to do 2 seconds rather than the typical 6-8 but I am also sailing at speeds > 10 knots, but my rudder stalls beyond 20 degrees rather than 30, and I may have still overdone it.
Copy, well it may take a few months but I'll report back when I try it
(2022-10-10, 09:12 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: This seems right.   It really depends on the boat.    I have rigged my boat to do 2 seconds rather than the typical 6-8 but I am also sailing at speeds > 10 knots, but my rudder stalls beyond 20 degrees rather than 30, and I may have still overdone it.

Sean. How do you easily check the rudder end-to-end travel time? And which parameter determines the duration. 
I have a slightly oversize hydraulic pump for my boat, with an adjustable flow rate. https://www.marinepanservice.com/en/accessorio/ls-rv2
Right now, the pump is adjusted near the minimum flow rate, and seems to be working happily (just did a Norway-Shetland passage in quite rough conditions, and the motor was working without any issues. The overall current draw for the autopilot system was ~5 A).

I assume there will be a "sweet spot" where the motor controller output amps and the pump flow rate has optimum efficiency in terms of current draw...
Maybe I should consider to adjust the flow rate somewhat up. I guess that would directly affect the rudder travel time. 

Any thoughts?