This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displays for cockpit
Hi!

I'm researching monitors so that I can replace my ancient raymmarine chartplotter with openplotter. Currently the chart plotter is on the rail around the helm, so rather exposed. I've been finding a bunch of monitors that are sunlight readable and have an IP65 rating, though I've been unable to find i IP65 is enough for the cockpit? It's supposed to be safe from strong jets of water. I've seen IP65 mention in marketing material that it's ok for "driving rain". But I don't know how IP65 compares to the commerical chart plotters. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Hello
Do you have lost links for us? I am of opinion IP 65 is OK and is enough.
Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
(2017-08-02, 05:41 AM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello
Greetings Jürgen

Sure!

Best ones I've found that don't cost a boatload are the Xenarc 7 and 10 inch models.

https://www.xenarc.com/1029CNH.html
https://www.xenarc.com/709CNH.html

Xenarc's been around for a while, so that's good.

Haven't finalized what I'm doing yet, but if I go full openplotter was thinking two 7inch side by side to replace the 3 instrument cluster on the pedestal, (currently speed/depth/wind, would run node-red dashboard?) and a 10 inch below for opencpn.

We'll see though! Just go my first Raspberry pi 3 so seeing how it goes Smile

And yeah, need to make sure about water ratings, hence this post Smile
(2017-08-02, 12:36 PM)mxtommy Wrote:
(2017-08-02, 05:41 AM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello
Greetings Jürgen

Sure!

Best ones I've found that don't cost a boatload are the Xenarc 7 and 10 inch models.

https://www.xenarc.com/1029CNH.html
https://www.xenarc.com/709CNH.html

Xenarc's been around for a while, so that's good.

Haven't finalized what I'm doing yet, but if I go full openplotter was thinking two 7inch side by side to replace the 3 instrument cluster on the pedestal, (currently speed/depth/wind, would run node-red dashboard?) and a 10 inch below for opencpn.

We'll see though! Just go my first Raspberry pi 3 so seeing how it goes Smile

And yeah, need to make sure about water ratings, hence this post Smile

Looks nice but can you actualy connect 3 monitors directly to the Pi ?
On the website I see a price of €665 for the 10". 
Have you considered using a splashproof tablet connected by VNC or RDP?
Earlier this year I got a second hand Panasonic ruggedised tablet for £145 which I use as the cockpit repeater and a simple 15" monitor for the chart table where splashproof and daylight viewing is not required
Hello,
The parts look really great. I have only to consider with capacitive touch. I have tried using a tablet. As soon as water comes to the screen, you can not use it well.
I installed a resistive touch. Touch is ok, readability was bad. I am now looking for a resistive touch that is readable in sunlight.
Mostly bigger than 10 "(The idea with several screens is very good.)
Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
looked at the same displays my issue is i would like to mount it in my cockpit bulkhead. I have a tanzer 26.. and want it out of the way and not near the traveler. i tried the tablet option display is mostly unreadable.