This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed to load overlay after latest updates
After the latest updates for OP3 32/64bit 7.3.2023 I get Failed to load overlay 'spi-bcm2835'-overlay on start-up. If you want a log or something additional info, please point out the place I can find them.

Attached Files Image(s)

what "the latest updates for OP3 32/64bit 7.3.2023" means? a system update using apt? or you are talking about an specific program being updated?

Can you publish here your file /boot/config.txt?

what hardware do you have connected?
(2023-03-12, 08:09 PM)Sailoog Wrote: what "the latest updates for OP3 32/64bit 7.3.2023" means? a system update using apt? or you are talking about an specific program being updated?

Can you publish here your file /boot/config.txt?

what hardware do you have connected?

I mean system update with apt. I have OpenPlotter 3 64bit, RaspberryPi 4 with 4GB memory. Pican-M hat with I2C, Sparkfun ICM 20948 and BME280, Logitech Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. OS is run from the USB3 M.2 SSD. Config.txt is attached.

Attached Files
.txt   config.txt (Size: 2.19 KB / Downloads: 113)
Ok, I mean system update with apt.

PI4 - 4giga - Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4

OP3-32bit

I have
SSD 120g - Card  MCS - MPU 9250 - BMP280

.txt   config.txt (Size: 2.33 KB / Downloads: 125)
OK I see that both of you have that MCS board and this line in config.txt: dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay

what is this overlay for? who is adding this line?

I suspect that the software that manages that MCS board is adding this line for a CAN connection but that is not correct.

I recommend asking the MCS developers

EDIT: sorry Relax does not have a MCS but a PiCAN board but both of them are adding that nonsense line
On some older OS it was needed. I think on newer it makes problems.
I will removed this from the SignalK postinstall. For now you can uncomment it with # or delete it from config.txt
Hello,

Literally just received my new PiCAN-M yesterday... following the SK-Pang manual to install and get it going on my Pi, I edited /boot/config.txt with the following:

enable_uart=1 
dtparam=i2c_arm=on 
dtparam=spi=on 
dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=25 
dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay

dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay generated a "failed to load" message.

What was the resolution?
(2023-05-11, 12:04 PM)Johnthebairdsca Wrote: Hello,

Literally just received my new PiCAN-M yesterday... following the SK-Pang manual to install and get it going on my Pi, I edited /boot/config.txt with the following:

enable_uart=1 
dtparam=i2c_arm=on 
dtparam=spi=on 
dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=25 
dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay

dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay generated a "failed to load" message.

What was the resolution?
Just put # before the last line, like this
# dtoverlay=spi-bcm2835-overlay

Or remove that line, that works too.